Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,596

1 members and 2,595 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,151
Threads: 248,592
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Lunarlily28

Thread: Chomper

Thanks

Chomper

So a while back I had some issues with some crested geckos that I got from a pet store in town. I went back and he said he'd give me another crested gecko or I could another animal. Against my better judgement I got another crested gecko. A little tan dalmation with really pretty eyes. I didn't think he would survive, but I brought him home anyway and set him up in a small critter keeper.

Well I've noticed a big difference in this gecko. Our first crested gecko never grew. He stayed the same size for a really long time and I don't think he ate very often. THIS gecko is an eating machine. While the first gecko didn't poop much, this one eats and poops like there is no tomorrow. He also fires up really nice. And he has GROWN. He's doubled in size and loves his crickets. (which he get's once a week). We actually just moved him into a large critter keeper. It seems a bit big for him, but we are going to monitor him to make sure he's eating and if he shows signs of not eating, we are going to move him down a size. Oh and his name is Chomper, but we don't know if he is a he, or a she.

Pictures to come when I find my camera.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Re: Chomper

1. Keep this gecko in strict quarantine.
    2. Get a fecal done ASAP!
    3. Treat this gecko with BOTH medicated T-Rex diets (http://pangeareptile.com/products.htm#entfix).

Even though this gecko seems to be doing well in comparison to the others you had, it still came from the same source as the geckos that were sick and died. Parasites like entamoeba invadens can sit dormant and then become quickly fatal for a crested that experiences any sort of stress--which can be slight and go unnoticed by the owner. This parasite also tends to flourish in the springtime when the temperatures start to rise--many crested keepers treat for this parasite as a preventative at the beginning of spring in order to prevent it from taking hold in their colonies in case it had been laying dormant in any geckos over the winter. Do not underestimate this parasite--take preventative action now in order to avoid another loss. I really cannot stress this enough!
    - Emily

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (12-28-2008)

Thanks

Re: Chomper

Thankyou. I will order it as soon as I get my paycheck on Thursday. How long do I keep him on it?
    Under Construction.....