Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,664

1 members and 2,663 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,179
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ReptiFreak
    Thanks

sterilite storage tub

This is my tub for my het pied bp, he's 320g. this should be good enough till he gets older. its 29qt. cost me 15.00. i was gonna build him one like the wood one below but didnt have time and didnt want to stress out my female pastels by sharing a cage for too long. the best thing about this is that its stackable.

its simple and cost effective, for now. i drilled two holes for the flexwatt and some holes on top and in front for air. the only problem i caught was when he was active and trying to get out he got stuck in between the drawer and top so i let him free him self and now i always check if hes in his hide. but i figured he would curl up under the newspaper so i took the hide out. its perfect cuz there's a hole under the tub so the flexwatts wires open easily with the tub. the humidity is perfect in there for him as well. for extra safety im going to find a lock to make sure it stays closed. For now i put it next to my trunk blocking any ecscape. this was to answer some questions i got from people about it in my other thread. If anyone else has a question or comment please feel free to post up. thanks, mike.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: sterilite storage tub

you didn't put the flexwatt inside the tub itself did you? if so, take it out and tape it to the bottom!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

The flexwatt in the enclosure is not a good idea (electrical devices and liquids are never a good combination)

Additionally this would mean that your T-Stat probe would be tape on the heat tape in the enclosure which is not a good idea either, BP can tip their water dish over or pee in large amount, which would cool down the probe making the temps shoot up.

As for this type of tub you need to find a way to secure it, if you don’t your BP will escape (other people have tried before you and failed)
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smith285 View Post
    you didn't put the flexwatt inside the tub itself did you? if so, take it out and tape it to the bottom!
    yea i did. but i'll redo it. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    The flexwatt in the enclosure is not a good idea (electrical devices and liquids are never a good combination)

Additionally this would mean that your T-Stat probe would be tape on the heat tape in the enclosure which is not a good idea either, BP can tip their water dish over or pee in large amount, which would cool down the probe making the temps shoot up.

As for this type of tub you need to find a way to secure it, if you don’t your BP will escape (other people have tried before you and failed)
    your absolutely right. i totally missed that. as far as the probe goes its in my pastels enclosure so it doesn't affect this tub so its always at tempature. but im going to home depot tomorrow to get a rivet gun and rivets to put a latch on it to put a lock or pin to secure it. thanks guys for pointing those flaws out.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I would suggest getting another thermostat if you are going by what it says in the other enclosure. It is made out of a completely different material and will transport heat differently. I have a feeling it will heat up the plastic tub you just bought to a lot higher temperature than the other enclosure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smith285 View Post
    I would suggest getting another thermostat if you are going by what it says in the other enclosure. It is made out of a completely different material and will transport heat differently. I have a feeling it will heat up the plastic tub you just bought to a lot higher temperature than the other enclosure.
    i put a thermometer in the plastic one last nite and they are all around the same page, off a degree or 2.