Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,062

1 members and 2,061 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

D3rv (47)

» Stats

Members: 75,202
Threads: 248,612
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, CUGrad99
    Thanks

radiant heat panel in a tub?

I currently have a neonate inside a 16 qt tub with two small zoo med heat pads connected to the back. One heat pad is set at 90 degrees and the other is set at 82 degrees. So far it seems to be working out o.k but i was wondering if anyone has ever put a radiant heat panel inside a tub and if they had any success with it?

Thanks

Re: radiant heat panel in a tub?

i just keep mine over the top of flexwatt... that is, a strip of flexwatt running under half the tub with the other half at ambient.
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

Thanks

I think you're over thinking the whole thing. Of course, personal opinion. Several breeders think that 90 or close is too hot. ideal is closer to 85.

My baby tubs are SUPER simple and house chondros the same size I think yours is. 6.5 qt rubbermaid tub with a piece of 1/4 pvc pipe longways and a water bowl on top of the papertowel. Standard 10gal UTH 1/3 of the way under. This makes it around 87 at the hottest part and around 82 on the far end (my house is cold). They tend to stay more towards the cooler/middle parts.

I saw the pic of your tub in the other post. It's a good bit of room, is it eating well? Also, the water bowl looks big, baby chondros have been known to drown. Just something you should watch for, maybe fill it halfway. However, this is from pics and you get to actually see it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
    I think you're over thinking the whole thing. Of course, personal opinion. Several breeders think that 90 or close is too hot. ideal is closer to 85.

My baby tubs are SUPER simple and house chondros the same size I think yours is. 6.5 qt rubbermaid tub with a piece of 1/4 pvc pipe longways and a water bowl on top of the papertowel. Standard 10gal UTH 1/3 of the way under. This makes it around 87 at the hottest part and around 82 on the far end (my house is cold). They tend to stay more towards the cooler/middle parts.

I saw the pic of your tub in the other post. It's a good bit of room, is it eating well? Also, the water bowl looks big, baby chondros have been known to drown. Just something you should watch for, maybe fill it halfway. However, this is from pics and you get to actually see it.
    Well so far its been working out. I have all the sides covered except for the front so hopefully that helps the little one feel more secure. He/she ate for me on monday without a problem. I didn't have to really do anything to make the chondro eat. I just put the mouse in front of him/she and it took it pretty quickly, so the tub size doesn't effect the neo in anyway from what i see. The water bowl does look big in the picture but its not, it doesn't really hold much water in it and i can't ever imagine the chondro drowning unless he/she wanted to