Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,254

1 members and 2,253 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,178
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, turntechgodhead
    Thanks

double ressesive ?

How is it a bp can be double ressesive? I thought all animals have 2 genes, The homo that you can see and the het that you can't. So do double ressesive have 3 genes, 2 hidden one showing? Especially how does one like an albino pied for example show both reccesive genes?
    1.0 50% het clown 1.0 50% het lavender 2.6 normal bp 1.0 normal poss axanthic 1.0 het pied bp 1.0 yellow belly 1.0 mojave bp 2.0 spider bp 2.1 pastel bp1.1 Cinnamon bp
    7.0 corns - normal motley stripe het snow,anery a het hypo, snow, red candy cane, motley stripe orange candy cane, anery motley possible ghost , butter motley 0.6 corns -amel,high white amel,creamsicle,ghost, snow, orange candy cane 1.0 albino jungle corn, 1.0 mexican black king, 1.0 california king, 1.0 milk snake 0.1 kenyan sand boa 0.1 dummerils boa 1.1 bci normal, 0.1 pastel bci,0.1 kahl albino bci,1.0 salmon het kahl albino bci, 0.1 guatamalan boa 0.1 hogg island boa 1.0 JCP 0.1 woma python 3.0 leos-normal,blizzard,rw albino,rw b blizzard 0.7 leos-normal,hypo tangerine,mack snow,albino, rwb blizzard,raptor, rw albino 0.1 C. Turneri (thick toed gecko)1.1 crested gecko0.1rose hair T. 0.0.1 black emporer scorpion
    1.0 beardie

http://kryptonianreptiles.webs.com Kryptonian Reptiles now on Facebook

Thanks

Re: double ressesive ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

to answer your question, you'll need a basic lesson in genetics: http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=52847

To further explain:

Animals have more genes than you can possibly imagine. Millions? Billions of genes? I don't know the exact order of magnitude.

Picture a double helix. Usually it is pictured vertically as two long entwined strands, with horizontal lines between the two strands. Each horizontal line is an allele or pair of genes.

The gene that causes albinism are located on a different allele pair than the gene that causes the piebald pattern.

Does that clear things up? Are you still confused? I wish I remembered more of high school biology from 8 years ago(stayed away from that in college), and while I understand it I have a hard time putting it to words especially with the correct terminology.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

Kryptonian (10-23-2008)

Thanks

Here's an example, take a Clown and breed it to a Hypo.... being both animals are recessive and visual, what you end up with are off spring that are both het for clown and het for hypo.... double recessive, but look like normals!

Breed them together to get a Hypo Clown....
    Scott Collien

Sputnik's Reptiles

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    to answer your question, you'll need a basic lesson in genetics: http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=52847

To further explain:

Animals have more genes than you can possibly imagine. Millions? Billions of genes? I don't know the exact order of magnitude.

Picture a double helix. Usually it is pictured vertically as two long entwined strands, with horizontal lines between the two strands. Each horizontal line is an allele or pair of genes.

The gene that causes albinism are located on a different allele pair than the gene that causes the piebald pattern.

Does that clear things up? Are you still confused? I wish I remembered more of high school biology from 8 years ago(stayed away from that in college), and while I understand it I have a hard time putting it to words especially with the correct terminology.
    that link is just what i needed
    1.0 50% het clown 1.0 50% het lavender 2.6 normal bp 1.0 normal poss axanthic 1.0 het pied bp 1.0 yellow belly 1.0 mojave bp 2.0 spider bp 2.1 pastel bp1.1 Cinnamon bp
    7.0 corns - normal motley stripe het snow,anery a het hypo, snow, red candy cane, motley stripe orange candy cane, anery motley possible ghost , butter motley 0.6 corns -amel,high white amel,creamsicle,ghost, snow, orange candy cane 1.0 albino jungle corn, 1.0 mexican black king, 1.0 california king, 1.0 milk snake 0.1 kenyan sand boa 0.1 dummerils boa 1.1 bci normal, 0.1 pastel bci,0.1 kahl albino bci,1.0 salmon het kahl albino bci, 0.1 guatamalan boa 0.1 hogg island boa 1.0 JCP 0.1 woma python 3.0 leos-normal,blizzard,rw albino,rw b blizzard 0.7 leos-normal,hypo tangerine,mack snow,albino, rwb blizzard,raptor, rw albino 0.1 C. Turneri (thick toed gecko)1.1 crested gecko0.1rose hair T. 0.0.1 black emporer scorpion
    1.0 beardie

http://kryptonianreptiles.webs.com Kryptonian Reptiles now on Facebook