Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,895

1 members and 2,894 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,178
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, turntechgodhead
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

What makes for a good Ivory?

I always figured that YBs were YBs, kind of how I figure Fires are Fires... I know there is variance within the morph, but does that impact the eventual super version?

I assumed that even two lower grade YBs would create an Ivory... which it does, but does the amount of blushing and flames on the YB impact the Ivory (super YB)???

I just got home from a show where there was two ivories on different tables and the difference was amazing. One was stellar, one was... not even really a *meh*.

If it hadn't been labelled an Ivory I would not have instantly got it.

So what in a YB impacts the quality of the Ivory and in what ways?

If anyone that has worked with them, or researched this, has any feedback I would love to hear it.

And yeah, I have a YB. He is a nice YB, but isn't a stellar YB. Nice strong stomach and some nice flames that go about half way up his ventral, and has some very typical and pronounced YB markings.

Same with his contrast, he has nice strong colouring (which I really like about YBs).

But he is low on the high flames and the blushing.

One thing that got me thinking, was that I assume that it can be pronounced through selective breeding, but if those traits are contributed by the non-morph parent, then how important is that in the Super?

Thanks in advance,
    Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks

Re: What makes for a good Ivory?

I guess it depends on what you consider a good Ivory -- do you like a white ivory or a dirty ivory -- there are people in both camps -- tho I'm told all ivories white out into adulthood anyway.

Then there is the graphite which is another story altogether.
    Tosha

The web page: JET Pythons
    The blog: http://jetpythons.blogspot.com/

Thanks

I really don't know, but I would guess that darker yellowbellies make dirtier ivories and the really yellow brighter yellowbellies make cleaner ivories. However, I have no evidence to back that up and is simply a guess.

Thanks

Very good question. I wonder that too. I have a YB pair, and my male is not awesome in the blushing/flames dept., but the female is. And she has an orange tint to her belly. I didn't think I'd be able to breed her this year, but she's gone back up to 1300 grams in a few weeks of consistent feedings, so we'll see what she's at in late December/early January.

I gotta say, though, I'd be happy with a dirty Ivory, clean Ivory, etc. for the first year.
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes
    1.0 Double Rex, 0.1 Beige Ruby Eyed Dumbo, 0.1 Hairless PEW

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

For me a *good* Ivory, would be one with a nice clean yellow dorsal stripe, a non-dirty ventral and dorsal body. As far as head soot... does not matter, that is one thing I like about them. I kinda like that the chimney sweep look they have, and it accentuates the contrast of the facial markings... the one I saw at the show was really dingy looking for lack of a better word. Just looked muddy all over.
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've wondered the same thing myself and picked up a so-so yellow belly a few years ago figuring that they'd make ivories just as good as the more expensive stunners. I'm still not sure since he's not been a very good breeder. Makes me wish I'd gone with a better looking yellow belly so at least I'd have a pretty snake to look at while he's busy trying to figure out what girls are for.