Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,304

0 members and 1,304 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kaiju (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,149
Threads: 248,590
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, koala
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Re: The good mixed with the bad.

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    Micro: I'm not sure if they (the forum quote) are talking about an establish breeding group of females, or just a bunch of asf's? Generally, females that have been bred and dropped litters wont take a new male from an outside source, even when young and small... maybe some groups are ok with it, but I have only found leaving one of their sons in there to grow up and breed works, or start a new group all together.

I mix and match ASF's that arent in an established breeding group all the time, every week they get moved around split up and put into different cleaned tubs.

I agree with connie 100%... I should have been clearer.

You can mix and match all you want with younger ASF's.... but once a pregnancy occurs the rules change. You can no longer mix and match without fighting.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Sorry, was in a hurry last time I posted. I wanted to tell the story of the first hand experience I had...

A few months ago I had a 1.4 group set up that had not yet had any babies. The male died for no apparent reason. I still wanted to breed the females, because they were already at breeding age... Because they weren't pregnant yet (or so I thought) I figured I would try to throw in a new full grown male... the result was the most discusting thing I have ever seen. Still turns my stomach every time I think about it.... Keep reading if you want to know what happned. WARNING, it is very horrible...

Well I cleaned the tank and put in new bedding... put the three ladies and the new male in at the same time. The ladies immediately started sniffing him. Before I went to bed the girls were sleeping on one side of the tank, he was sleeping on the other. I assumed all was fine.

The next morning he was clearly injured... he was walking with a serious limp, and seemed very week. there was blood on the substrate... I picked him up and almost puked. The girls, (who ended up being pregnant from the origional male that died) had eaten off his scrotum.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mcavana View Post
    Bruce, he does not know the ages of the moms because he just purchased the group. For all we know the male died of old age! Why spend all that time growing up one of the sons if the moms may not even be able to have another litter 2 months from now? that is all I am saying...
    Well then, if they die before he gets his game on, then feed them off... but being that he doesn't know their ages it doesn't make sense to feed them off. Even if those females only give him two litters, it'll be quicker than waiting for newborn females to get up to weight and start producing.

That being said they could give back to back babies for a year.

I just don't throw out bathwater till I make sure all the babies are accounted for... that's all.

Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

Meh... edited out
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks

I agree with bruce. it takes quite some time to raise females to breeding age. I personally would establish more trios with the babies you have produced AND grow up a new male to go with your existing females. That way if the older females dont produce you still have other trios in the works.
    My Collection: 3.2 Mojave, 4.9.3 Normal, 1.0 Het Pied, 0.8 Pos. Het Pied

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Somed00d View Post
    I agree with bruce. it takes quite some time to raise females to breeding age. I personally would establish more trios with the babies you have produced AND grow up a new male to go with your existing females. That way if the older females dont produce you still have other trios in the works.
    Even better!!!
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

That sounds about what I was thinking.. I still have 3 very prego females. One in this trio and 2 from another. I plan on starting 3 or 4 more breeding groups from this first go round.

Why would you suggest 1.3 over 1.2 out of curiousity?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cougr View Post
    [I]
    Why would you suggest 1.3 over 1.2 out of curiousity?
    More bang for the buck and effort... with a minimum size enclosure of a 10 gallon tank, 1.3 will fit just fine. If you don't need to produce many asf's then go with 1.2

At the moment I have 12 breeding tanks set up with 1.3 set up in each... that is 36 females pumping out an average of 12 babies a month... 432 babies a month. If I had 1.2 setups, The tanks would still be taking us just as much room, cost close to the same to maintian, but would only have 24 females pumping out about 288 babies per month.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

i would listen to mike. i speak from experience also. i was sold 1.4 breeder group. already full size adults. their output was horrible. i was only getting 6-9 babies per litter and that was only from 2 females the other 2 didn't even produce i kept back 1.3 and stared all over. now i know there age and can monitor them accordingly. it's just makes things simple. i was feeding them off and am down to my biggest female and the male. just when i get ready to feed off the female, she pops out 5 more babies. i figure i will give her one last litter out of respect. thanks again mike.
    Holy crip, he's a crapple!
    1.0 Normal
    1.0 Pastel
    0.2 Odd

Thanks

I came home Wednesday to a very interesting suprise. The same mom that gave birth the first time had another 16 little ones on the 15th. She somehow got pregnant withen the 2 days before she killed off the dad. So basically she had pups again withen 24 days of the first litter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12