Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 934

1 members and 933 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,162
Threads: 248,599
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Csr112
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Poultry Feed for Rodents

The rats I kept before usually kept seed mixes in the dish, however, I just tried some poultry feed on the mice, and they were using the dish as a digging box. Lol. I still want to try the poultry feed though, because I always have some around for when we take our son down to feed the ducks at the park.

Thanks

The mice get the hog feed mixed with some cereals and grains, the rats get the mostly organic mix made with a little bit of Wellness Senior dog food.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I would go for a 20-24% protein diet for a breeding colony.
    24% is pretty high!
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Not really. I'm pretty sure 18% is generally recommended for male rats and around 20% for females and hairless. 22% - 24% is actually pretty decent for a breeding/nursing female and a troop of wild babies. The males aren't as important in a colony to me, and I'd rather have my breeder females get adequate protein than not enough because I'm trying to cater to the males' level of protein. It just doesn't make sense to me to feed a diet tailored to male rats when your colony is mainly breeding females and their young.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post
    The mice get the hog feed mixed with some cereals and grains, the rats get the mostly organic mix made with a little bit of Wellness Senior dog food.
    Is that for nutrition reasons, or personal preference?

Thanks

What was the point in taking all of this time to check the labels and do a bit of research on mouse/rat nutrient requirements? Well, first, Purina Mazuri and Harlan products are not always easily obtained, and second, in most circumstances, the poultry food is going to be MUCH cheaper than rodent foods. Rodent blocks in my area cost $1.05/lb, while proper poultry feeds purchased at Tractor Supply (Dumor brand) are about $.33/lb. If I were to take the time to drive to the Purina mill, I could probably get it for about $.20/lb. The poultry feed could cut your feeder bill in half, without sacrificing essential nutrients.
    So if I go to tractor supply, and get Dumor poultry feed...my rats will be as healthy as using the "rat Food recipe" that is stickied?

Thanks

I can't even get a label on Dumor feeds, so I'm not exactly sure. You need to use caution when picking up the poultry feed, as some are better than others.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bettacreek View Post
    Not really. I'm pretty sure 18% is generally recommended for male rats and around 20% for females and hairless. 22% - 24% is actually pretty decent for a breeding/nursing female and a troop of wild babies. The males aren't as important in a colony to me, and I'd rather have my breeder females get adequate protein than not enough because I'm trying to cater to the males' level of protein. It just doesn't make sense to me to feed a diet tailored to male rats when your colony is mainly breeding females and their young.

How do you know the females are not getting enough protein when nursing? Have you had sick rats when they wean? Are they not maintaining weight very well? What are the effects from not feeding enough protein?

I'm asking because I take quite a bit of pride in my colony. I treat all the breeders like pets, and actually serve two different feeds for my breeders. I pay close attention to their mass at weaning, how the litters look, how many in a litter, how big they are at weaning... it's all very important to me.

I have great success with 16-18%. Now I read that somehow my rats are not being fed the proper amounts of protein?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

22% - 24% is actually pretty decent for a breeding/nursing female and a troop of wild babies.
    For feeders it’s a lot.

Excess protein, can lead to scabs, hair loss, kidney failure if you want to produce healthy feeders you need to make sure your breeders are provided with and healthy diet, you do not want your breeders to die prematurely.

Some of the best lab blocks on the market, designed for feeder animals usually average 16%-18% in protein, which is way, enough for a nursing female, and also for pups when they start eating on their own.

I have females that I have acquired in May last year that are still STRONG breeders for their age averaging 10 babies (18 month is the average age for menopause in rats), younger females usually average 14-16 babies not to bad for females that would have nutritional deficiency due to a low protein diet

A good diet will help your breeders stay healthy and produce nice healthy litters.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    How do you know the females are not getting enough protein when nursing? Have you had sick rats when they wean? Are they not maintaining weight very well? What are the effects from not feeding enough protein?

I'm asking because I take quite a bit of pride in my colony. I treat all the breeders like pets, and actually serve two different feeds for my breeders. I pay close attention to their mass at weaning, how the litters look, how many in a litter, how big they are at weaning... it's all very important to me.

I have great success with 16-18%. Now I read that somehow my rats are not being fed the proper amounts of protein?
    If that works for you, then stick with it. I've used up to 25% protein for rats with absolutely no problems, with better weight gain than with a lower protein content, and with no problems for my males. I was producing stockier babies at 20% than I was with a lower protein content. However, I don't plan on breeding my females until they can breed no longer. I have never bred a female to the point that she could not produce anymore, I simply have no reason to, and would rather retire my females early with less litters. Granted, I have 4 balls and one corn snake, and the rats come as pets first. I have the luxury of retiring females without burning them out.
    If what you do/use works for you, then stick with it, but I'm going to stick with what I know and have done in the past and know to work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12