Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,422

2 members and 1,420 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Jcd5v (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,178
Threads: 248,608
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, turntechgodhead
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Am I absolutely insane?

Personally, I think that when it comes to reptiles and snakes especially, there are always people out there that think that you are crazy for keeping one. There are people out there that think that I am insane for keeping a ball in the same house as 2 kids. And with some of these people, I could explain to them all day long the reasons why I keep snakes and how they aren't going to kill my kids or aren't venomous, etc. etc. etc. and they will still think I am insane at the end of the day.

I would never own a hot, just because I like to be able to handle my pets and hots in my mind are a little too dangerous in a house with little kids, plus I would never be comfortable enough around them to be able to properly care for one. They are neat to look at, just wouldn't want all the responsibility of owning one. I still say that as long as you have enough experience and knowledge, are completely comfortable around them, and can be able to care for them properly and responsibly, then if and when you are ready then go for it.
    ~*~*~* Pamela *~*~*~

See my dragons!!
    http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/36057

Thanks

Re: Am I absolutely insane?

I definitely agree with your idea of starting with a copperhead. Although yes you'd want to go have a treated to prevent any serious damage, you can, theoretically survive a copperhead bite with no treatment (although depending on the location and severity it can cause loss of a limb or even a fatality)

I know because when I was a child I got bitten by a copperhead and being a poor family, and my family being "old fashioned" they decided that since one of our family members had survived it once (in the hospital, monitored by doctors but not given any anti venom) that I'd be fine "riding it out"

It was excruciatingly painful and my foot swelled until it looked like a big blue/black/purple grapefruit, but I did live. I definitely recommend a lot more hands on experience and study on the exact species of snake you decide to go with, but I definitely think that Copperheads are a good place to start.
    ~Dexter Mason~
    Wife 0.1 Children 0.1.1 Dogs 1.1 Ball Pythons: 5.22
    Bearded Dragon 1.0 Ornate Horned Toad 0.0.1 Leos 1.3 Russian Tortoise 0.1

Melodrama coming from you is about as normal as a bowel movement - Clerks
    I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule. - Clerks
    Dante Hicks: But you hate people.
    Randal Graves: Yes, but I love gatherings. Isn't it ironic?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12