Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,917

1 members and 1,916 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,759
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
    Thanks

Question Where to buy life rodent feeders in NYC?

Hi everyone, after crawling here for a while I finally got my first BP.

He is 5 months old and 120 grams-ish. The seller was feeding him fuzzy rat but I am having trouble finding a place that sells rats this size frozen of life. Would appreciate if anyone can shed light on this! Stores in Manhattan would be preferred but I can also go to Bronx, Queens or Brooklyn. Thanks everyone!

Also when would it be a suitable time for me to try to feed his first meal at new home? He got here on Dec 12th, has been occasionally exploring the 32 gallon terrarium.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,522 Times in 2,705 Posts

Re: Where to buy life rodent feeders in NYC?

Have you considered buying online? This way you’ll always have access to the feeders you need.

https://bigcheeserodents.com/product...n-feeder-rats/

https://www.coldbloodedcafe.com/frozen-rats
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (12-20-2023),Bogertophis (12-17-2023),Homebody (12-18-2023),lilmknster (12-18-2023),Ruby (12-18-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,175 Times in 12,056 Posts
    I know nothing about buying feeders in NYC, but as far as feeding your new snake, it's best to wait about a week or more before trying. They need time to settle in & feel safe in their unfamiliar home.

And since he's young, a 32 gal. tank is huge for him & might not work so well- all that space tends to stress out BPs, especially if they just came from a breeder that kept them in a small tub. So I hope you got the temperatures dialed in before you brought him home, also that he has at least 2 hides (one warm side, one cool side), & there's plenty of "clutter" (cover) so he doesn't feel vulnerable with so much room. If he's not warm enough, he's going to sense it's winter & refuse to eat, so the right temps. are critical.

See, all that figures into whether you succeed in getting him to eat for you. Is this your first snake, or just your first BP? Another thing that kills a snake's appetite is handling- best NOT to handle him at all until after he's eaten at least 3 meals for you easily (unless in shed, then refusals are normal). Even though they might not seem stressed by handling, trust me, they are. The only thing that picks them up in the wild is a predator about to eat them- & even though captive-bred, our snakes still rely on their survival instincts. Handling is scary for them- take it gradual.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (12-18-2023),lilmknster (12-18-2023),Ruby (12-18-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,175 Times in 12,056 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Have you considered buying online? This way you’ll always have access to the feeders you need.

Judging from the title of this thread, I think the OP is looking for live rodents? ("life" )
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,998 Times in 883 Posts
    I honestly don't know where to suggest. There weren't many options back when I lived in one of the boroughs...
    But as a heads up, I would be careful of how you go about asking in person as ball pythons are illegal in the boroughs. I think most people will just kinda let it slide as long as you don't get someone with a phobia rubbed the wrong way, but it was definitely part of why I wanted to move to CA with mine asap in 2000 XD

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-18-2023),Bogertophis (12-18-2023),Homebody (12-18-2023),Ruby (12-18-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,300 Posts

I live in the NY metro area, but I don't know where you would get live feeders. I've always fed frozen and thawed feeders, and I order them online, as El-Ziggy suggests.
    Last edited by Homebody; 12-18-2023 at 09:41 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (12-18-2023),Bogertophis (12-18-2023),lilmknster (12-18-2023),Ruby (12-18-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I know nothing about buying feeders in NYC, but as far as feeding your new snake, it's best to wait about a week or more before trying. They need time to settle in & feel safe in their unfamiliar home.

And since he's young, a 32 gal. tank is huge for him & might not work so well- all that space tends to stress out BPs, especially if they just came from a breeder that kept them in a small tub. So I hope you got the temperatures dialed in before you brought him home, also that he has at least 2 hides (one warm side, one cool side), & there's plenty of "clutter" (cover) so he doesn't feel vulnerable with so much room. If he's not warm enough, he's going to sense it's winter & refuse to eat, so the right temps. are critical.

See, all that figures into whether you succeed in getting him to eat for you. Is this your first snake, or just your first BP? Another thing that kills a snake's appetite is handling- best NOT to handle him at all until after he's eaten at least 3 meals for you easily (unless in shed, then refusals are normal). Even though they might not seem stressed by handling, trust me, they are. The only thing that picks them up in the wild is a predator about to eat them- & even though captive-bred, our snakes still rely on their survival instincts. Handling is scary for them- take it gradual.
    Thank you so much for this information! Yes, I am aware of the 32 gal is very spacious for him right now so I provided 4 hides across the tank and made sure temperatures are correct. He is not my first snake so I know to refrain from handling.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lilmknster For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-18-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post

Wow thanks! My BP is transitioning to FT diet so I will definitely buy online in the long run. I had trouble shopping online for feeders because many providers I know do not ship their frozen feeders for some reason.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    I honestly don't know where to suggest. There weren't many options back when I lived in one of the boroughs...
    But as a heads up, I would be careful of how you go about asking in person as ball pythons are illegal in the boroughs. I think most people will just kinda let it slide as long as you don't get someone with a phobia rubbed the wrong way, but it was definitely part of why I wanted to move to CA with mine asap in 2000 XD
    Yes, I always thought it is ambiguous I double checked with the breeder and he said it's perfectly fine to ship to my postal code LOL. I go around and tell people I have a kingsnake looking for live feeders..

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,998 Times in 883 Posts
    I think it's just that most breeders aren't aware of it outside of the NYC area because it's just that area and not the whole state maybe?

Good plan though since kingsnake' will eat almost anything anyway. Lol