Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,511

0 members and 2,511 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,175
Threads: 248,602
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, LouveniaEl
    Thanks

Defecation: Defense mechanism or pure fear?

When a Royal Python defecates on the handler, is it an actual defense mechanism in this species of snake or just a reflex done out of pure fright? I was wondering, since I know other species(such as corn snakes) do this deliberately as a defense mechanism(hence the term "musking"). Much kudos to any animal behavior experts who can answer this small science question.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,946 Times in 11,918 Posts
    Not that any snakes have personally confessed to me, but I think it can be either way. Remember that a snake's body is essentially a long horizontal "tube", so when you "handle them" it usually means they're spending some time being vertical, being more active, & being "folded" (for lack of a better term): ALL of these motions (along with gravity!) will tend to "help" or even "force" them to defecate, just like activity or fear can have the same result in any other animals, including us.

FYI, "musk" is NOT a defecation but an actual defensive response out of fear- it's a snake version of chemical warfare, lol. King snakes especially (& others) are known for this response, especially as hatchlings, since they're too small to even bite effectively. They also instinctively spray fecal material without musk- it's very effective at making them less appetizing to predators. I've raised many a corn snake & I don't find them to be prone to this behavior. Same goes for ball pythons. But just try sexing a bunch of hatchling king snakes... Been there. Suggest a rain coat.

When a ball python defecates on their handler, it's most likely that the handler has not yet learned to pay attention to whether or not there's a bulge above the snake's cloaca from the latest meal when they're initially picked up from wherever they're resting. So then it's on them....literally.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-10-2022),Luvyna (03-10-2022)

Thanks
    My bp has pooped on me once, but I think she literally just had to poop and it came out lol.

On the other hand, my milk snake truly musks within seconds of being touched every time and you can feel every bit of hate emanating from her body as she does it. And then she bites you and doesn't let go.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silktail For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-10-2022),Homebody (03-10-2022),Luvyna (03-10-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,946 Times in 11,918 Posts

Re: Defecation: Defense mechanism or pure fear?

Quote Originally Posted by Silktail View Post
    My bp has pooped on me once, but I think she literally just had to poop and it came out lol.

On the other hand, my milk snake truly musks within seconds of being touched every time and you can feel every bit of hate emanating from her body as she does it. And then she bites you and doesn't let go.
    Snakes can say a lot without ever using words. Milk snakes are similar to king snakes- & even more high-strung, typically. I've had a few in the past- beautiful but usually flighty, & it takes a lot of patience to get them to accept handling without "special effects".
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-10-2022 at 01:32 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-10-2022),Luvyna (03-10-2022)