Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,787

0 members and 2,787 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,178
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, turntechgodhead
    Thanks

Eating Question (Even though I think I know the answer...)

I have a young ball python that was an excellent eater for the first several months of life and with me was eating every 5 days (Sept-December) but since late December will typically eat every week for 2 weeks and then refuse for 2 weeks. The thing I've noticed is that if there is ANY waste in his tub, he'll refuse to eat; either he'll strike and then not swallow or will show interest but then refuse to strike at all. Once I go into his tub and find the "offending" waste and remove it and/or do a full substrate change out he eats at the next offering.

What's frustrating is that since he's still young and I'm trying to leave him alone as much as possible, especially on feeding days, he sometimes "sneaks" a urate or a small poop into his tub in the 1-2 days prior to feeding and then refuses to eat! It feels like I need to be searching his tub every day which I've trained myself to not do since I had my last fussy eater.

On the plus side he's gaining weight (slowly since he eats 1/2 as much as my other BP) and pooping and doing all those normal things...so maybe this is just the way it is with him. He's at ~212g up from his arrival weight of 120g (so 100g in 5 months, by contrast his "sister" is up ~200g in the same time)

Anyone else had any experience with a BP that is this fussy about tub cleanliness? Thoughts?

Thanks

Re: Eating Question (Even though I think I know the answer...)

Mine are both very offended by poop, to the point where they'll be on top of the hides trying to push the lid off the bin to get away from it. What substrate is he on? When I had mine on paper towels I had to clean 2-3 times per week, but the upside was that I'd take the snake out, pop them in my sweatshirt pocket, do a quick clean and put them back, and this quickly got both of them used to being gently handled for short periods, to where they'd curiously climb out of the pocket and onto my arm, and eventually up onto my shoulders on their own. Rather than leave him alone or clean while he's in the tank, maybe try keeping him close to you but safe while you clean up so he gets used to being around you? He might wind up feeling calmer in the long run.

Thanks

Re: Eating Question (Even though I think I know the answer...)

Quote Originally Posted by plateOfFlan View Post
    Mine are both very offended by poop, to the point where they'll be on top of the hides trying to push the lid off the bin to get away from it. What substrate is he on? When I had mine on paper towels I had to clean 2-3 times per week, but the upside was that I'd take the snake out, pop them in my sweatshirt pocket, do a quick clean and put them back, and this quickly got both of them used to being gently handled for short periods, to where they'd curiously climb out of the pocket and onto my arm, and eventually up onto my shoulders on their own. Rather than leave him alone or clean while he's in the tank, maybe try keeping him close to you but safe while you clean up so he gets used to being around you? He might wind up feeling calmer in the long run.
    Thanks for your suggestions!

I have all my BP on ZooMed Eco Earth (fine shredded coconut husk).