Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,067

0 members and 3,067 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,170
Threads: 248,600
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, viersa
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Aggresive feeder strikes coils but doesnt eat the rat help!

Quote Originally Posted by Andiamo View Post
    When my BP was younger, he'd eat with me hovering right over him....now I let him take it, and I leave the room. He likes his privacy.

there was one instance where I came back in the room to see he had not eaten the rat, but I placed it right by the entrance of his hide (head first) and he took it down shortly after.

I definitely think it's odd that your snake is striking, coiling, but not eating...possible the head of the rat is not as warm as the other part of the body (I always warm my rats with their heads facing down, b/c if I don't the butt will be slightly warmer). Or your snake just needs a bit more privacy.
    Wait so you're saying now that he's older he won't eat if youre there? haha

Thanks for sharing I'll keep your suggestions in mind. Maybe I should just use hot water to warm the rats, I'm just always worried it'll be too hot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    You could try drop feeding. It should keep your bp from being startled or distracted.
    I just realized this is a thing, I might try it, but I think she'll just strike before I get to drop the rat lol

Thanks
    Thanked 19,946 Times in 11,918 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spodermon View Post
    Huh that's interesting, didn't really think about that part about not using their sight and feeling instead.

Btw, if you feed do you hold the rat by it's tail or the butt? I've heard people saying hold by the butt but I'm worried they'll strike the tongs and hurt themselves, esp. this girl she would strike all over the place towards me, the sides of the tub sometimes the water bowl I use for heating the ratspretty crazy, my other bps dont do this at all lol. Y'know what next week I'll try heating the rat really well, this might be why, I'm hoping it is
    Well, nobody ever promised that snakes would be logical. I just know that sometimes they give up easily & won't eat if the size feels too big- maybe that helps them survive in the wild though- if they can't chow it down quickly, another predator might get them while they're struggling with it. Or like I said, it could be sensing the winter season too.

You can hold by the tail if you want- sometimes it's just harder to grip, depending on what kind of feeding tongs you're using. And anyway, your tongs should be blunt-ended if you think your snake might get hurt on them- you might want to use long BBQ tongs instead. Like these: (called "long scissor tongs")
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-11-2022 at 11:51 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-12-2022),Homebody (02-14-2022)

Thanks

Wait so you're saying now that he's older he won't eat if youre there? haha

Thanks for sharing I'll keep your suggestions in mind. Maybe I should just use hot water to warm the rats, I'm just always worried it'll be too hot
    If I'm there starring at him, he will definitely try to drag the rat into one of his hides....or it will take him a bit longer to actually start eating. I've found it's quicker to just let him take it and leave him alone.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Andiamo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-14-2022)

Thanks

I've had this 2 year old girl for about 3 months and she has always eaten really well. The past few weeks she has been getting really aggressive when feeding, which is good, not complaining since I'm trying to breed her, BUT the last few times feeding she would take the rat but won't eat it?? And then, since she's such an aggressive feeder, if I try to get the rat to reheat, she will target my hand with a "I'm gonna murder u and eat your hand" look on her face so I just throw the rat away the next day when she's calmed down lol

I was watching her earlier and what happens is she strikes at the side of the rat, tries to eat it but fails because she starts eating from the side, ignores it, and starts looking around for (another rat or something) and looking at me thinking I'm food. Sometimes she would get startled when coiling because of the noise of me trying to close the enclosure and she then focuses on me instead of trying to eat the rat.

She often misses the f/t as well, striking 3-4 times before getting it even when the rat is usually warm almost hot, a few times she almost struck my knee

So frustrating, any tips? She scares me because she's about 1300gr and so feisty when she smells food lol

It's my first time breeding.
    Had this issue few months ago with a girl I'm breeding. She would kill the rat and start to eat then refuse. Gave her smaller rats than usual and she ate them. Guessing she didn't want big meals while her follicles were growing. Just an idea to try

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12