Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,009

0 members and 1,009 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,207
Threads: 248,621
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, underscore
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Well I don't expect a snake to enjoy the handling. Tolerating it is sufficient. I know this is for my own enjoyment. But there are so many keepers who handle them much more frequently and more carelessly and the snakes semm to be fine ao I don't think it's too selfish of me to wish for interaction with my snake twice a week.

He does have enough hides and clutter and he really doens't seem insecure or bothered at all in the enclosure. He does what he should. He uses the cold hide and the warm hide. He eats every meal, he poops and sometimes comes out at night.
    So nothing really problematic. I have fixed almost every problem with the cage. Only thing I didn't figure out is where he gets the scratches on the belly sides from. But he can't scratch his head anymore and the wound has healed very well so far. The belly scratches don't heal as fast. Bit I have refrained from giving more betadine baths since I fear that might have traumatized him a litte (even though I tried to be gentle).
    Even so I think these minor injuries don't really seem to bother him much and influence his behaviour. He is still chill in the enclosure alone and calms down when put back.
    New enclosure is in the works but I really don't think that's the main cause for his anxiety.

I know I sound frustrated as hell because I am. I really always try to go the extra mile but it doens't work out for me while other people just do the minimum and don't think much about it but it still works.
    I don't keep my snake in a glass tank with all open sides with just a hidr and a water bowl. Yet still some BP living in these conditions are not as angsty. I know Iam ranting.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeLike For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-01-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 463 Posts
    All I can say is to try the choice-based handling methods I mentioned in my reply to you. Just last night I had a snake that I have been doing this with for over a year and a half actually 'ask' (through behaviors) to come out of her enclosure, at which point she voluntarily came into my hands.

It works.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-01-2022),Armiyana (02-01-2022),AutumnVanilla (02-02-2022),ballpythonluvr (02-02-2022),Bogertophis (02-01-2022),Homebody (02-01-2022),Hugsplox (02-02-2022),Malum Argenteum (02-01-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 859 Posts
    Your snake has a personality and it's just not what you wanted. You're going to have to learn to deal with it or keep stressing your snake out with handling. And if your snake doesn't open up to handling by the time it's an adult, yes, you are being selfish for wanting to interact when it doesn't.

Not every snake wants to be handled. Royal Pythons picked up a more common name Ball Python for a reason. They are shy and you need to learn to be more patient and tolerant of your pet's needs.
    Try some of the methods Caitlin had mentioned. Give your snake a choice and maybe it will respond better.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 02-01-2022 at 05:33 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-01-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,229 Posts

Re: Need more tips for making snake less afraid

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    I'll link a video below by my snake training mentor, Lori Torrini, on the initial steps in choice-based handling. Check it out and see if it's something you might be interested in trying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ljt...el=LoriTorrini
    Intriguing. This bears looking into.

Thanks

Re: Need more tips for making snake less afraid

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    All I can say is to try the choice-based handling methods I mentioned in my reply to you. Just last night I had a snake that I have been doing this with for over a year and a half actually 'ask' (through behaviors) to come out of her enclosure, at which point she voluntarily came into my hands.

It works.
    I will try it thank you.
    I just have to admit that I might have already done things to hinder this behavior when he first got to me. I did not know aboit this idea then.
    What I mean is he tried to get out of the enclosure by bumping his nose agains the glass and I did not let him out because I though this was escaping behaviour. After a few month he has mostly stopped wanting to come out. I am not sure I can make him be interested in coming out again but I can try at least.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12