Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,561

1 members and 2,560 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

D3rv (47)

» Stats

Members: 75,202
Threads: 248,612
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, CUGrad99

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Thanked 9,740 Times in 3,879 Posts

Re: Stuck shed - tail tip

How long did you soak the snake and tail?

Figment - my male corn, had a similar issue. I soaked him for a few hours and it came off, but so did the scales at the tip of his tail exposing the bone (1mm worth or so). I put neosporin (original without the pain killing agent that can be deadly to snakes) on it and it healed up quickly without getting infected.

After the long soak (which you might want to do on multiple occasions over several days) you can also try putting the CP in a small container full of moist and warm - not hot - paper towels and see if she can rub it off herself. If all that fails, I would go the route you were talking and/or a vet.

Below is the post on Figment's tail. I felt terrible, as I should have caught it earlier, but he seems no worse for the wear. I think the big issue is if the snake loses scales and/or has circulation issues, make sure it doesn't get infected for the former and probably need to see a vet for the latter.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...rn-Baby/page11

I will add that he's had issues since then with his tail and I have to help with most sheds. Doesn't matter how high I make humidity etc. That's an ongoing problem for him. Shed comes off perfect everywhere else and then I help with that little bit. He's pretty cool about it which helps.

I know I am preaching to the choir here, but wanted to point out a) that I've been there and b) the longer you can soak the better.

Keep us posted.
    Last edited by dakski; 03-28-2021 at 09:31 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (03-28-2021)