Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,038

1 members and 1,037 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,202
Threads: 248,614
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, CUGrad99

Threaded View

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Hognose to comfortable

Quote Originally Posted by Igotsmallballs View Post
    So I recently purchased a hognose. His ten gallon tank consists of the norm. Hides, clutter and 3 inches of substrate. He’s a happy healthy boy. Also feeds well. Took one off the tongs last Thursday.

Our problem is that he stays super buried most of the time. Most of the time the pinky’s are left setting out. Which later on when I’m not looking he will take. He’s only been handled once since I’ve had him. I got lucky and caught him out. Got him weighed. He is just over a month old.

Should I use less substrate? I’m glad he’s healthy. However part of me can’t help but think. Would I have been better off starting him out on newspaper? That way I could view him. Handle him easier and feed him easier.
    A hognose should be hiding, do not replace his substrate to newspaper however you can provide 1 inch of substrate at that size.

It's not about YOU viewing him it's about providing an environment that promotes it's natural behaviour, they are diggers they like to bury themselves.
    Deborah Stewart

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-16-2020)