Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,381

1 members and 3,380 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,170
Threads: 248,600
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, viersa
    Thanks

Splitting a clutch?

Someone I know had some unexpected eggs. They told me their larger BP was acting weird and asked if I could look at it. From what they described and what I saw, she was gravid and about to lay. And about a week later she did. These came about from them housing two BPs together and were told they were both males. Though they both appeared to be normals, I offered to help and incubate and house the young for them until homes can be found and they can keep what they want since they were their eggs. Her son wants to watch them incubate and hatch at there house, but I don't want to lend out my incubator with the Herpstat on it, especially for 2 months when I could very well need it in that amount of time.
    So I directed her to this site and to check out he stickies on maternal incubation. And how to make an incubator.

The biggest question is, now she is wondering about splitting the clutch. So that half go with me to put in my incubator and the other half leave with the female. I've never heard of that being done and was curious if that's even feasible, and that's counting on the eggs seperating since they were laid yesterday.

The simplest solution with the least headache, would be for me to incubate the eggs, let them know when they start to pip so they can see the hatching process. I set up the baby rack and get them feeding. Since I don't think she is really wanting to or prepared to handle 8 or so hatchlings either.

In going to go over and check them out tomorrow evening and see how they are set up and come up with a better plan then.

Thanks for all the help,
    Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    First thought is why?

Unless the eggs are freshly laid a few hours they will be suck which means if you attempt to separate them you will damage them, the only time it can and should be done is soon as they are laid or a few days before they hatch (at both those times they are easy to separate), doing it 24 hours later is too risky and it's not like it needs to be done.

Honestly the simplest solution if she does not want nor is ready for offsprings is to simply freeze the eggs.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (06-15-2017),GoingPostal (06-15-2017),Hannahshissyfix (06-16-2017),PokeyTheNinja (06-15-2017)

Thanks

Re: Splitting a clutch?

Thanks Deborah. I figured that would be the case. But told her I would ask. And I guess she didn't follow my recommendations for dividing the tank (70-75gal aquarium). And the male is still with her and is curled up on the nest with the female. I imagine that is highly stressful for that female.
    But they're not my animals or my house. All I can do is make my recommendations and hope they follow them.

Thanks,
    Kyle

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Splitting a clutch?

Quote Originally Posted by Kroberts10 View Post
    Thanks Deborah. I figured that would be the case. But told her I would ask. And I guess she didn't follow my recommendations for dividing the tank (70-75gal aquarium). And the male is still with her and is curled up on the nest with the female. I imagine that is highly stressful for that female.
    But they're not my animals or my house. All I can do is make my recommendations and hope they follow them.

Thanks,
    Kyle

Can lead a horse to the water can't make it drink , hopefully she will separate them since she has no interest in hatching or keeping the future offspring because it will keep happening.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Kcl (06-15-2017),Kroberts10 (06-15-2017)

Thanks
    This is the reason why all people shouldn't have animals. It sounds like she is doing what she "feels based on her kid" instead of doing what is best for the animals, which is rampant in todays society.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ElliotNess For This Useful Post:

Hannahshissyfix (06-16-2017),Jules623 (06-15-2017),PokeyTheNinja (06-15-2017)

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts
    Agree with everything already mentioned. While i understand a kid is curious and it is an interesting process, there is no shortage of normals that need homes and finding 8 more homes will be a giant pain and not worth the hassle. Theyll be living creatures with needs and expenses, not disposable entertainment. Since they don't care to research and properly house the adults they already have I don't see why they'd need or want to keep any babies.