Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,853

0 members and 2,853 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,204
Threads: 248,615
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, madballreptiles
    Thanks

Noticed a new behavior

So I wanna start off by saying do some of you have those indecisive ball pythons ? the ones just require extra patience (one time acting interested another time acting scared) and you have to like battle it out by dangling the prey sometimes close or sometimes little bit far and just hold on to it until it finally decided to strike.

Another thing is so last night I was feeding my ball python, I know for constrictors they coil up their prey but this time I noticed something different. So my Mojave simply just bit on the side and just took it without the coiling up part. I fed it twice and both times he did it without coiling.

Side note: He usually coil up like all the time but last night was different. And when he would coil up for me I don't move the prey little bit to pretend its alive I just let it have it.

Maybe its cuz he learned that he doesn't have to constrict the food ??
    Last edited by 6037201; 06-01-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    yep. boop took her first two feedings by grabbing and coiling. Then she wouldnt take it unless i left it in her feed box. she would not take it if i held it over her, dangled it, nothing. I really thought she was not going to eat. silly snakes....
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks

Re: Noticed a new behavior

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    yep. boop took her first two feedings by grabbing and coiling. Then she wouldnt take it unless i left it in her feed box. she would not take it if i held it over her, dangled it, nothing. I really thought she was not going to eat. silly snakes....
    IKR, when snake is more pickier than human

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    Serket quite often does not bother to strike or constrict her rats. She knows they aren't going anywhere, and as long as I've heated them properly she's happy to mosey over and slurp down at leisure.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Calypso has only recently begun to strike her rats. At first I had trouble with her taking them, and after I switched her to f/t I started just leaving the rat in her tub and moving on to the others, and when I came back 10 or 20 minutes later she was either working on it or done. She hasn't refused a meal yet since she switched to f/t.
    1.0 Normal (Emrys)
    0.1 Fire (Calypso)
    0.1 Pied (Tessa)
    0.1 Albino Kingsnake (Nienna)
    2.1 Cats (Suki, Daisuke, and Kyo)
    0.0.2 Leopard Geckos (Chi and Pixel)

Thanks

I've never seen a BP strike without coiling mine is different meaning sometimes he will strike at distance and sometimes he won't untill the meal is right in front of him but he's always coiled round I've only had him 5 month.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Thanks

I've just thought about it, do you always give its meal a little shake when he's coiled round or do you just let him get on with it without shaking it's meal maybe he's learning that he doesn't have to constrict and is realising the meal is already dead who knows just my thought

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mexecutioner View Post
    I've just thought about it, do you always give its meal a little shake when he's coiled round or do you just let him get on with it without shaking it's meal maybe he's learning that he doesn't have to constrict and is realising the meal is already dead who knows just my thought

Well most snake owners said to shake the meal , but tbh I don't do it and my snake is perfectly fine with it. Cuz I think if u shake it too much it would cause snake to constrict the food harder meaning all the blood and guts from the rodent sometimes will spill out especially for F/T their body is really fragile.

Thanks

I shake the rats for mine specifically so he coils harder. An appropriately defrosted feeder still won't have an issue with structural integrity. He does try to get away with not coiling sometimes until I make him do it properly by wiggling the food more. Once he tried just flopping on top of it instead, which was pretty hilarious. A lot of them will get lazy about it if you let them - it's not an issue. You can convince them to "kill" it or just let them be lazy, doesn't really matter.

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kcl View Post
    I shake the rats for mine specifically so he coils harder. An appropriately defrosted feeder still won't have an issue with structural integrity. He does try to get away with not coiling sometimes until I make him do it properly by wiggling the food more. Once he tried just flopping on top of it instead, which was pretty hilarious. A lot of them will get lazy about it if you let them - it's not an issue. You can convince them to "kill" it or just let them be lazy, doesn't really matter.
    Yeah they are just lazy after all