Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,032

0 members and 3,032 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,204
Threads: 248,615
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, madballreptiles
    Thanks

Ball python feeding probelm

So I got my new ball python almost about an month now and so far he only ate 2 meals, which for both times I had to leave the food inside the cage overnight to see if he eats it, he wont take it from me when I offered to him, he would stare at it and flicked tongue looked like hes interested after 2 mins he just igrones again. I want my ball python to eat every week and grow very nicely but this little guy here is giving me a hard time ever since I got him. He's not bitten me before very friendly around people. the only thing is that he doesn't like to feed.... By the way I left him in there for a week before I started to interact with him. (Hes in a plastic tub both side temp is good)

Thanks
    Okay, lets get your snake up to eating and comfortable

Make sure the enclosure is adequate, you can maintain the right humidity and temps. But more over, it needs tight secure hides.

Don't just leave your snake alone for a week after getting it, leave it alone for a week then try to feed it, wait until it eats twice for you before handling it (you want that to be 2 weeks straight).

Scent the room before offering food. For about 10-20 minutes you want it to be able to smell the food.
    Get the food at the right temp, usually this means about 80-90 degrees for the whole body and with the head slightly warmer.
    Do a corpse dance for your snake. You don't need to swing the food around, but gently vibrating it and slowly moving it a foot away from the snake until it gets closer to the food to investigate is a good idea.
    If you have a live food item, make sure the snake is already paying attention to it before putting it in the enclosure
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oxylepy For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-18-2017),JodanOrNoDan (04-18-2017)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Re: Ball python feeding probelm

Quote Originally Posted by 6037201 View Post
    So I got my new ball python almost about an month now and so far he only ate 2 meals, which for both times I had to leave the food inside the cage overnight to see if he eats it, he wont take it from me when I offered to him, he would stare at it and flicked tongue looked like hes interested after 2 mins he just igrones again. I want my ball python to eat every week and grow very nicely but this little guy here is giving me a hard time ever since I got him. He's not bitten me before very friendly around people. the only thing is that he doesn't like to feed.... By the way I left him in there for a week before I started to interact with him. (Hes in a plastic tub both side temp is good)
    To avoid unrealistic expectations.... Even when everything is right, these guys are on their own sheet of music. They eat when they want to eat. Very few animals will eat every time. Two times in a month is not ideal but it is not the end of the world either. Some animals will go off food for a few months and it is not a problem unless they are loosing weight. In a perfect world a baby eats about every five days, but as long as the animal has healthy proportions everything is fine.