Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,111

2 members and 2,109 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,195
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Hot-Rod1088
    Thanks

Talking New snake lover in need of tips!

Hello everyone,

My name is Katy. I have recently purchased a desert BP from a local repticon just a about 2 weeks ago... She's a hatchling (I assume), She currently weighs only 53 grams, has eaten a one fuzzy (since I purchased her), and she is beautiful.

She has never bitten me, but she has nipped my dad. I am told by others that very young BPs ARE nippy and that they WILL outgrow it. To help keep my trust that she will continue to be friendly with me, I am holding her about once or twice a day, usually for about 10-15 minutes at a time. Every couple of days I leave her be, because I don't want to stress her. Sometimes, I place her in my bra (lol I know, waiting for the judgmental comments), but she seems to like it, it's a small space for her that is warm. She usually sleeps in there, I take her out when she starts to move after about an hour and place her in the terrarium. I know that there are various opinions on how long and how often you should handle your BP, I'd like to hear yours please

I use cypress mulch for her bedding, it holds moisture better than the newspaper that I was temporarily using for the first 2 days that I had her. The good thing is, in Louisiana the humidity is already high. I don't have to worry about misting the terrarium too often. She seems to enjoy bundling up and hiding inside/underneath it. I have taken a unique piece of driftwood from the river and place it in the terrarium at a specific angle, it is shaped like a rainbow. I often find her hanging on it just chilling out...

She's really sweet to me and I'm starting to get attached to her. Just a few minutes ago I learned that she is comfortable with me enough to come back to my hand when someone else is holding her. I sat her onto my boyfriend Alex's hands (after we both washed our hands), and she looked startled. I place her back onto mine and she was slithering around and exploring. After a few minutes, he placed his hands near mine and I gently sat her onto them, she got still and then came right back to me.
    As a beginner snake lover, I have not had much experience with them except for garter snakes. Learning that my snake actually sorta "likes" me made my day. I feel so special!! I read and hear from some people that BPs don't bond with their owners, but I read that with others they do. I think it's a matter of what you believe and the connection that YOU hold with your snake.

Other than that, I'd love if y'all reptile veterans could help me out and give me some tips. At the same time that I have faith in myself being educated enough about BPs, I am scared that I will miss an important fact and harm my snake.

Thanks,
    Katy
    ZiggiGirl

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ZiggiGirl For This Useful Post:

The Golem (09-27-2015)

Thanks
    First I would like to say welcome to the forum.

I think you are off to a good start with your new baby.

We have a normal, my wife's normal, that does the same thing as your does with you and your boyfriend. I look at this as who the snake is more comfortable around. IE.. if you hold the snake more than him then she is more familiar with your sent and trust you to be a "safe place".

Keep up with loving your BP and she will reword you immensely.
    http://www.facebook.com/EsScalesAndTails
    http://www.morphmarket.com/stores/erich_7719
    http://www.EsScalesAndTails.com <- under construction but it's there.

E's Scales and Tails, LLC: 1.1 Lesser Platinum, 1.0 Lemon Blast, 1.0 Enchi, 1.0 Mojave, 1.1 Cinnamon, 0.1 Butter, 0.6 Normal, 1.0 Hypo, 0.1 RDR Phantom, 1.1 Fire, 0.1 Pied, 0.1 Caramel-Albino 66% Puzzle
    Wife's: 0.1 Super Pastel, 1.0 Normal
    Daughter 1: 1.0 Normal
    Daughter 3: 0.1 Spider Het. Hypo, 1.0 Butter
    Son: 0.1 Lesser Platinum

Thanks
    Thanked 5,506 Times in 2,694 Posts

Re: New snake lover in need of tips!

Welcome and best wishes with your new BP. Can I ask how you're heating and controlling the temps in your enclosure? Has your snake eaten for you? I try to keep handling to a minimum with new snakes until they've had a few meals. As long as your husbandry is dialed in you should be good to go. Enjoy your new friend!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Welcome to the forum Katy. Glad you are enjoying your girl so.

Best tip is to hang out here and read as many posts as you can. You will learn a lot.

Also you will see the same issues being presented regularly. Then you may be prepared if any strike you.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Eric Alan (09-27-2015)

Thanks

Red face Re: New snake lover in need of tips!

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Welcome and best wishes with your new BP. Can I ask how you're heating and controlling the temps in your enclosure? Has your snake eaten for you? I try to keep handling to a minimum with new snakes until they've had a few meals. As long as your husbandry is dialed in you should be good to go. Enjoy your new friend!

I use use a reptile under-tank heat pad. The heating pad is about 1/4 of the size of the tank. I chose this option over the heat lamps because of belly heat being more natural to them.

I have a 2 in 1 humidity percentage gauge and thermometer on the warm side (heating pad corner/section) that has a constant heat temperature of 83-86 degrees, and the other side of the tank is always 3-4 degrees cooler. The cooler side of the terrarium has a rock-bath that is big enough for her whole body to fit in if she gets hot.

She has eaten for me once, I've only had her for 2 weeks now.
    Last edited by ZiggiGirl; 09-27-2015 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention something
    ZiggiGirl
    Katy <3

Merry Christmas.
    (I'm ready for Christmas, don't judge me)