Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,152

1 members and 1,151 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kaiju (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,149
Threads: 248,589
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, koala
    Thanks

Finally added automated water

Currently I have 21 tubs with 42 breeder females, feeder weanlings and some others.

I decided I would hold back 60 females to replace the current ones (about to be over the hill), and to completely fill all slots on a new 7 tub rack I'm about to make.

With the new addition of 60+ rats I was having to fill waters sometimes 2x daily and this was getting out of hand.

I really liked reptile basics nipple spring valves but for 28 of them, and supplies that's more than $200.

So I found an alternative on amazon called "20 Pack of Blue Barb Rabbit Nipples for Automated watering" for $40 and 2 packs I did the same for a lot less. There were good reviews and I went with it!

So far the quality is acceptable, definitely not the same as RB, but they DONT leak, and that's all I care about. All parts are replaceable, and the nipple consists of 5 parts. All parts can be repaired quickly if needed without wasting more money.

I already have a R/O system that I use for my family's drinking water, so I put a "T" on that, which goes to the rat water reservoir which has a "1/4" inch float valve which keeps the rats water full at all times. I also have a shut off valve so that I can stop flow, wouldn't want a flood right? Just once every few days I turn the valve on for a few minutes and the reservoir fills up for me!

This is nothing new, everyone does this. I just wanted to share my experience and money saving tip!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tsanford; 06-30-2015 at 12:45 PM.

Thanks

Re: Finally added automated water

Thanks for sharing the info and pics! As our snake collection grows we are looking to upgrade or rat breeding to be more time efficient and less labor intensive. I've got this bookmarked for future reference. Thanks again!