Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 860

2 members and 858 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

D3rv (47)

» Stats

Members: 75,202
Threads: 248,612
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, CUGrad99
    Thanks

Newbie Here.....

Hello all, I have enjoyed reading this forum all morning, I got here by doing a google search for merle rat breeders, and this forum popped up. I want to say I am very impressed with the quality of animals posted here, reptiles, and mammals and a few others, just outstanding. I have owned rats as pets for years (30+) I recently embarked on getting some new rats as pets, then something happened.... A reptile/rat breeder started to teach me about genetics....and my brain got to thinking, I would LOVE to have a go at this. I have pretty common rats right now, the fanciest are a russian blue rex dumbo. and some other dumbo's in various colors. I had a merle rat many years ago but I never bred him.... the rats I have seen posted here blow a lot of "rat breeders" out of the water so to speak. I unfortunately am not a true "rat lover" I guess because having owned several snakes and rodent eating reptiles, using rats and mice and other animals as food does not bother me. Heck I plan on getting a burger for lunch. Anywho, I am looking for a breeder who will sell fancy rats to me without wanting a blood oath, or my first born (lol past my prime for that anyway) .... I was wanting roan, merle, burmese, black eyed siamese, in dumbo and rex if possible, truth is if its unusual or strange i sure i would love it..... anyhow I am in Long Island NY and travel to Northeast PA every week and would gladly meet up with them. I am also okay with shipping

Thanks
    Welcome to the forum! I am in a similar situation to you (I am starting my first round of breeding this summer) and there aren't many breeders in my area.

I would suggest posting on a couple groups on FB if you are a FB member: "feeder breeders", and "rat, mouse, and ASF breeders", you can also try "rat breeders" but there are some show people on there that take offense at the feeder side of things, so if you do post there, I'd say you're looking to get into breeding, but not dwell on the reptile side of things.

Someone on one of those groups (can't remember which) recently posted pics of a merle litter. I'm not sure about their location though.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

3. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Autumn7112 (05-18-2015)

Thanks

Re: Newbie Here.....

We just breed double rexes for our snakes, and have a few haired mice, but I'm starting to get into the rat genetics too (which is one of the reasons I got into ball pythons).
    You should check out your local pet stores that sell feeder rats, because I've seen all kinds in the bins. I actually saw a big Russian blue male at the pet store the other day. They probably won't have super high end bred rats, but there are always tons of colors available.

Thanks

Re: Newbie Here.....

And I would gladly give you some Rex/Double Rex (have way too many) but I live in Kentucky. If you're ever passing through, send me a message