Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 707

2 members and 705 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,204
Threads: 248,615
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, madballreptiles
    Thanks

[New Snake Owner] Feeding 284g BP?

Just wondering what I should be going by? I've heard that you should be feeding them items the same size as the thickest portion of the snake, 10-15%, 15-20% prey large enough to leave a bulge, 4-5 days, 5-7 days, 15-20% every two weeks, rat pups from 150-400 grams (chart), etc. I have him on rat pups currently and he's only gained 4g since the last time he ate (7 days ago). Am I wrong in assuming that seems low? I was wondering if I should be upping him to weaned rats and maybe small rats around 400 grams with a 7 day feed time? Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    I'm usually feeding my guys at that size a rat pup ever 5 to 7 days not every two weeks. I don't generally switch to every two weeks till they're taking small rats.
    Cheers, Jeff

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: [New Snake Owner] Feeding 284g BP?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHazard View Post
    Just wondering what I should be going by? I've heard that you should be feeding them items the same size as the thickest portion of the snake, 10-15%, 15-20% prey large enough to leave a bulge, 4-5 days, 5-7 days, 15-20% every two weeks, rat pups from 150-400 grams (chart), etc. I have him on rat pups currently and he's only gained 4g since the last time he ate (7 days ago). Am I wrong in assuming that seems low? I was wondering if I should be upping him to weaned rats and maybe small rats around 400 grams with a 7 day feed time? Thanks in advance.
    Personally, I have them on weaned rats (30g to 45g avg) once a week at that size.

Part of your decision on a feed schedule and what to feed is how interested you are in having them add weight, part of it is convenience (ie, not everyone can easily do 5 days, but a lot of people can easily feed once a week on weekends), part of it is what your snake wants (some eat less often than others, some like smaller prey).

Find something relatively convenient for you, and start from there. Pay attention to how your snake responds and make adjustments as needed.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Thanks

Re: [New Snake Owner] Feeding 284g BP?

Quote Originally Posted by 200xth View Post
    Personally, I have them on weaned rats (30g to 45g avg) once a week at that size.

Part of your decision on a feed schedule and what to feed is how interested you are in having them add weight, part of it is convenience (ie, not everyone can easily do 5 days, but a lot of people can easily feed once a week on weekends), part of it is what your snake wants (some eat less often than others, some like smaller prey).

Find something relatively convenient for you, and start from there. Pay attention to how your snake responds and make adjustments as needed.
    I was thinking the same thing. It's not an issue of money or convenience, and I would enjoy seeing him add size and grow, but I wouldn't want to do so at detriment to his overall health and I wouldn't do anything considered "power feeding". It just doesn't seem like he is adding too much weight between meals right now and I was wondering if anybody else fed theirs differently. Essentially once I open the packet of rats he's already out and looking to eat so he's definitely a hungry little guy. Thanks for the advice though.