Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,676

0 members and 2,676 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

D3rv (47)

» Stats

Members: 75,202
Threads: 248,612
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, CUGrad99
    Thanks

Anyone ever have an escape? I did....

Okay well I just recently got into breeding rats mainly because my pet store sucks. Well, i kept them in my room until I got my shed ready. 4 moms decided to escape during the night and when I went into the room the next day one was sleeping on top of the cage in a moccasin lol?? And one was running around I put both of those back in their cage but I couldn't find the other 2. I literally have been looking for a whole week in my house freaking out. Today I found both of them under my tv stand. I learnt my lesson, I'm never keeping a rodent in my house again! They are freaking escape artist.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    LOL...they're smart little boogers, that's for sure.

I've had a couple of live feeders escape from a ball python that wasn't interested in eating. When I reached in to try and retrieve the uneaten rat, they got past me and out into the living room. I went to the hardware store and bought two live-animal traps. They worked like a charm to catch the naughty critters without hurting them.

((EDIT to note: That was two separate feeding episodes...not two rats being fed off at the same time!))
    Last edited by JLC; 05-14-2015 at 06:35 PM.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Haha! They kept the shoe! So stinkin' cute!
    -- Judy

Thanks
    I had a male that was a particularly talented escape artist. I have some females that will chew holes in their bins if given the opportunity, but they're happy to destroy my property and stare out of the holes at the rest of the room. Bobert, on the other hand, did not like to be contained. When I had my rats in tubs his had to have something heavy on top of it or he'd escape (happened 3 times). When I had him in the rack, he ate a hole through the bins and escaped twice before I was fed up with him and pushed him onto one of my rat loving friends. He was way too big for any of my snakes to eat (fatty was about 400 grams!) and I didn't know what I would do with him if I gassed him. This friend had bought two of his sons off me when I first started breeding rats, and I honestly didn't care where he went as long as I didn't have to deal with him anymore!

He was never very hard to find; either he was running around the room pooping on everything I loved or hiding in the moving boxes I still have in the closet pooping on my memories and collectibles. Lucky for me he didn't seem to know how to climb down the stairs.