Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,831

2 members and 1,829 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,172
Threads: 248,602
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Ro55y5
    Thanks

SD retic husbandry?

Hello everyone! I would just like to start out by saying I am new here and look forward to learning from all of you and I appreciate any helpful advice or suggestions you give me. I am going to the hamburg reptile show in PA and plan on picking up a sd or a dwarf retic. I have worked with mainlands before but I want something that would be more manageable to work with. The idea of a sd/d retic couldn't appeal to me more. All the beauty of a retic but with smaller size. So what would be the recommended enclosure size for a male SD or a dwarf (jampea)? I've seen/heard some people promote tubs with a footprint of 5'x2' and others who have them in 40 gallon tanks. Would a 36" x 18" footprint work for a SD male or would that be pushing it? I know retics are long but very slender snakes so they really don't take up a lot of space. Also what would a normal super dwarf or dwarf run me in terms of pricing?? Thanks for all the help guys!
    Last edited by A_Kap; 02-21-2015 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts
    If you go for a pure SD male, you can keep him in a 36x18 footprint just fine. Only if it's pure though. Any mainland influence at all needs to be accounted for. Since mainland can give way to larger snakes, all size considerations have to be taken with a grain of salt.

A 50% SD Male should stop around 7-8 ft, however, there are plenty like mine that are 10'

A 50% SD Female should stop around 9 ft, however, Bob Clark even has 12+' females that are 50% SD crosses

Jampea is even sketchier. These guys come from an island where they have access to heavy food about once a year. This causes them to have a lot more growth potential than other retics when fed heavily, or even normally. 16' females are on record for pure specimens. As are 9' females. . . . and 13' males! I have a 50% Jampea Goldenchild though, who turns 2 in a little over a week. He's only 8 ft and hasn't shown any growth in length. So it does vary. But my 62.5% Jampea Purple Albino female, is pushing 13-14' at 3.5 years old.

There is no rules that can state with much certainty what you'll face with husbandry wise with a retic of SD / D crosses. Pures are some what more reliable however. So if size is a concern, ensure you go with a pure locale, and ensure the locale matches your need (Kalatoa, honey island, Korampa, etc).
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

Thanks

Re: SD retic husbandry?

Quote Originally Posted by reptileexperts View Post
    If you go for a pure SD male, you can keep him in a 36x18 footprint just fine. Only if it's pure though. Any mainland influence at all needs to be accounted for. Since mainland can give way to larger snakes, all size considerations have to be taken with a grain of salt.

A 50% SD Male should stop around 7-8 ft, however, there are plenty like mine that are 10'

A 50% SD Female should stop around 9 ft, however, Bob Clark even has 12+' females that are 50% SD crosses

Jampea is even sketchier. These guys come from an island where they have access to heavy food about once a year. This causes them to have a lot more growth potential than other retics when fed heavily, or even normally. 16' females are on record for pure specimens. As are 9' females. . . . and 13' males! I have a 50% Jampea Goldenchild though, who turns 2 in a little over a week. He's only 8 ft and hasn't shown any growth in length. So it does vary. But my 62.5% Jampea Purple Albino female, is pushing 13-14' at 3.5 years old.

There is no rules that can state with much certainty what you'll face with husbandry wise with a retic of SD / D crosses. Pures are some what more reliable however. So if size is a concern, ensure you go with a pure locale, and ensure the locale matches your need (Kalatoa, honey island, Korampa, etc).
    Wow! A 10ft 50% SD!!!!! Do you think there would be smaller sizes for SD retics that are f2+ vs f1

Thanks

Since my F2 female that is 50% is only 8 or so ft and not growing at 3 years old...there is definitely a reduction. But again it's u predictable.

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

Thanks

Ok. Thank you for all the help I really appreciate it. Also what would a normal SD male go for?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Reptileexperts,

What type and size of enclosures do you have these in?
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Reptileexperts,

What type and size of enclosures do you have these in?
    Vision 600's - photo is a 4 ft bin I use for soaking / holding during cage cleaning.

Thanks

Would a 48" x 18" footprint be ok for a HP dwarf male? I'm thinking of purchasing one from Vital Exotics. I've heard nothing but great reviews

Thanks
    Should be - just raise him slow and steady