Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,632

1 members and 2,631 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,178
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, turntechgodhead
    Thanks

Euthanizing Rats

Hey everybody,

So last night i euthanized some feeder rats for the first time. everything seemed to go well and the rats didn't look to be in any pain. I started off the CO2 slowly and once they became unconscious i increased the flow of CO2 into the tub. I just wanted to make sure that I did everything right and that the rats weren't in any pain. are there any signs i should be looking for that indicate the rats are in pain while being euthanized? thanks for your help!
    Sam

Thanks

Re: Euthanizing Rats

Geez I hope not. I use co2 generated from dryice in warm water. The prey animals tried to flee the fog but otherwise just drifted off. Thinking that it was painful would be awful. My kids already look at me like joseph mengele everytime I have to restock.

Thanks
    If you see them really gasping for air, that is not as good. If you can get just enough co2 in that they "fall asleep", then flood the chamber with enough to make sure they die. This seems to be the most humane way for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts
    If they're jumping around and gasping, you're going to fast. They'll scurry a bit and start to take laboured breaths, but shouldn't be panicked. Also, be sure to leave them at least a few minutes after you're sure they're dead. It sucks when one you thought was dead comes back to life.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks
    I found this video recently, and it's a pretty good example of what NOT to do when using dry ice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZOI13wp8MY
    If you scroll through the comments, someone a few comments down pointed out what was wrong with this method and a few warning signs.

Some other things to look out for: Excessive Peeing or pooping(wet, really smelly poop is a sign of fear) while they are still alive, desperately trying to claw their way out, open mouthed breathing, extreme twitching.

Some ways you know you are doing it correctly: Calm rats(they'll try to get out, but not desperately), labored breathing without their mouth open(it's just because the air is becoming thinner, like when you go to the mountains and you breathe heavier), calmly cuddling in one area(the co2 will make them drowsy, and rats tend to sleep on top of each other). They'll pretty much breathe heavily until they they fall asleep and die. A little poop or pee is normal as they are probably slightly freaked out from being in a new area, and their muscles relax when they are dead, so it is all released.

Thanks

Re: Euthanizing Rats

My chamber is much larger, and I use a large Jar that the prey can't access the top of at all the prey try and escape the fog by hopping but no excessive excrement or urine. The prey are left in the gas filled chamber for 20 minutes and come out dry.