Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,061

0 members and 2,061 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,175
Threads: 248,602
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, LouveniaEl
    Thanks

Made A New Rodent Rack

My dad finally got around to making me a new rodent rack so I can hopefully feed my ball pythons more efficiently. There are seven tubs in the rack and it is based on Bailey and Bailey's design. I have eight bp's currently which range from 300-1400 grams, so I need a variety of sizes. My question is where I can find live rats for breeding purposes, because all of the ones I buy currently from the pet stores are all males. I can't find anyone who is willing to ship live rodents.
    Visit Bradbury Ball Pythons on Facebook and Instagram!

Thanks
    Shipping live rodents is expensive. 200+ if I am remember right. They have to be vet certified and transported in a special carrier. It's a big task.

Find a local feeder breeder with friendly, healthy stock and buy a group from them. Don't use pet store rats. Their temperament and health genetics aren't trustworthy. I got my first trio from a petstore and they bit when whenever they had babies. No tolerance for biters.
    Last edited by Marrissa; 06-25-2014 at 05:39 PM.
    Alluring Constrictors

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Marrissa For This Useful Post:

Rhasputin (06-25-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 971 Posts

Re: Made A New Rodent Rack

try putting a wanted ad on craigslist.
    you can also check with your local feed stores and see if they are selling rodent chow in bulk to anybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

You should try to find a local breeder. Prices and quality should both be better whether its for breeders or what you feed till you get going. I'm southeast of Louisville, so not too far from Lexington and I have too many rats right now and if you wanted to come to Taylorsville, I could hook you up.
    There are probably breeders in lexington if you could figure out where they are. There is a Facebook page (Louisville Reptile Classifieds) or (Kentuckiana Reptile Trader) and you could post on those to maybe find someone closer.

Thanks

No one will ship live rodents because you can't stuff a rat in a box. They have to ship like how they would ship a dog via airplane which costs $200+.

Definitely try to find local feeder breeder.

And try not to buy from a pet store. They're usually sick or not in good health. And make sure they're friendly and happy looking rats
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    0.1 Albino Ball Python

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Another possibility is to go to a local reptile show. Usually someone is selling feeders, but even if not, you should be able to ask around and find someone local to you who breeders feeders.
    Casey

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kc261 For This Useful Post:

Smarion0006 (11-02-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kc261 View Post
    Another possibility is to go to a local reptile show. Usually someone is selling feeders, but even if not, you should be able to ask around and find someone local to you who breeders feeders.
    x2 !!!!

I know the 12/7 in Clarksville, In. has vendors that sell live rats ( male and female). Check out Indiana Reptile Breeders Expo for more info ... about 8 miles N of L-ville off I-65

KRE holds shows in Lexington, but looks like that was 11/2. They are in Cincy on 12/14 and in Shepherdsville, Ky on 12/20.