Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,782

0 members and 2,782 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,179
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ReptiFreak
    Thanks

Bottle fed baby rat started biting - advice?

This is Karma. She was produced as a feeder rat. I got her to feed to my snake (the breeder said to feed her live a few times before switching to F/T) but I couldn't do it. I have a feeling she is special so I am keeping her as a pet. I got her when her eyes were still closed and she is a little over 3 weeks old now. I have bottle fed her since I got her and she has enjoyed spending time with me. She falls asleep in my hands, likes to cuddle, and is generally a joy to be around. The last few days she has started to nibble on my hands and it has only gotten harder, so it's becoming a bit painful. She latches on and doesn't like to let go now. I'm not sure what has gotten into her. From my understanding rats are very social creatures, so I am going this weekend to get her a few female friends. Because of this, I did move her to a larger tote... I think she likes it, but she has become more nervous. I'm at a loss. What do you suggest to make her more comfortable? We have such a great bond, but this is my first rat and I'm unsure of what to do now. How do I correct her behavior? Also, because Karma is going to be with some of her old litter mates, do I need to reintroduce them?

Thanks for reading!

Thanks
    Honestly, right now she is much like an infant child or puppy - that nibbling and biting for all it hurts is just her putting things into her mouth to explore. She will absolutely grow out of it on her own, and probably quickly. Provide things she can chew on in her tub, and prevent her having access to your hands so you don't get hurt, but it will fix itself pretty well - though the company of other rats will likely also help both the biting and nervousness. *Don't* correct her per-se or you'll just scare or hurt the poor thing and do more harm than good.

And nervousness in general is sort of a stage in itself. Mice have something similar - and they turn into little popcorn fluffs because they're just everywhere as they become more aware of stuff around them and as prey animals that can lead to being... well aware that they're vulnerable. Again: Company and time will help.

Introducing again, I'd do. Doesn't have to be a drawn out thing, babies should get along well, but she's been getting used to you for a bit. Just do a neutral space and very clean cage n o one has been living in so it's all neutral territory and they'll be okay.
    Last edited by CptJack; 11-12-2014 at 11:26 PM.
    ---
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    1.1 Black and White Banded Cal-King

2.3 Dogs
    0.4 Cats
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Kids

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CptJack For This Useful Post:

Smarion0006 (11-12-2014)

Thanks

Re: Bottle fed baby rat started biting - advice?

Quote Originally Posted by CptJack View Post
    Honestly, right now she is much like an infant child or puppy - that nibbling and biting for all it hurts is just her putting things into her mouth to explore. She will absolutely grow out of it on her own, and probably quickly. Provide things she can chew on in her tub, and prevent her having access to your hands so you don't get hurt, but it will fix itself pretty well - though the company of other rats will likely also help both the biting and nervousness. *Don't* correct her per-se or you'll just scare or hurt the poor thing and do more harm than good.

And nervousness in general is sort of a stage in itself. Mice have something similar - and they turn into little popcorn fluffs because they're just everywhere as they become more aware of stuff around them and as prey animals that can lead to being... well aware that they're vulnerable. Again: Company and time will help.

Introducing again, I'd do. Doesn't have to be a drawn out thing, babies should get along well, but she's been getting used to you for a bit. Just do a neutral space and very clean cage n o one has been living in so it's all neutral territory and they'll be okay.
    Thank you. Your entire post was very reassuring and made me feel a ton better. I appreciate your response.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Smarion0006 For This Useful Post:

CptJack (11-13-2014)

Thanks
    Making a very loud startling EEEEE noise when she does that, will help her learn not to. It gets the point across that she is causing pain, which she might not understand right now.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rhasputin For This Useful Post:

Smarion0006 (11-13-2014),sorraia (11-14-2014)

Thanks
    Rasputin is right, when siblings are too rough to each other, somebody squeaks, so you have to imitate the squeaking when she bites you.

Rats learn from their siblings and mom, without any siblings, you must teach her right from wrong.

Having more rats for her to play with will be very good! Just make sure you do proper quarantine.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kat_Dog For This Useful Post:

Rhasputin (11-14-2014),Smarion0006 (11-13-2014),sorraia (11-14-2014)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    She does need some correction, it won't just go away on its own. As two others have said, rats learn from their siblings and mother. She doesn't have that, so YOU need to teach her the social boundaries. Correction doesn't mean punishment, that "squeak" in and of itself is a correction. She'll learn fast, but you need to start now before it gets worse or becomes habit.
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

Thanks

Re: Bottle fed baby rat started biting - advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    Making a very loud startling EEEEE noise when she does that, will help her learn not to. It gets the point across that she is causing pain, which she might not understand right now.
    I did what you suggested and it worked likr a charm. It frightened her a bit too lol. She did not wanna bite for a while after that. Thank you!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Smarion0006 For This Useful Post:

Rhasputin (11-15-2014)

Thanks
    You might also want to try cleaning her with a damp q-tip so she learns proper grooming too. Some hand raised rats can grow up to be greasy because they never quite get the message. A damp q-tip rub down will simulate a mother or sibling grooming with their tongue. When she's old enough to go with her friends, they will teach her a lot too.

Edit- Make sure you get her bum too.
    Last edited by Rhasputin; 11-15-2014 at 10:16 AM.