Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,574

1 members and 2,573 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,175
Threads: 248,602
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, LouveniaEl
    Thanks

Lightbulb When Did You Guys Start Breeding?

Hey guys, so I have 4 snakes right now and it usually costs about $30 a month to find them. Where I live, breeders arent available and good f/t rats are tough to find. I cant really buy in bulk because my roommate does not like the idea of frozen rats being in our freezer, which is understandable. Think it would be okay to start now or should I wait?

thanks

and btw ive read the threads about this that are stickied, i just wanted personal opinions and stories!
    WVU

1.1 Red Tail Boas (Dennis & Penny)

Thanks
    Don't do it man! I have two snakes and I go through over 1500 lbs of rats food a month. LOL

Thanks
    Thanked 9,884 Times in 4,788 Posts
    Hatchlings typically start on live hopper mice or rat fuzzies, and then switch after a few meals. If you can't find a reliable local source for them then you will have to breed your own.

Have you tried Craigslist or the local / WV Facebook reptile forums to see if you can find a local feeder breeder?

Banned
    Thanks

Re: When Did You Guys Start Breeding?

Try puting an ad on craigslist looking for a rat breeder in the pet section worked for me. I actually had people lowering there prices to get me to come to them and i live in a smaller town

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 952 Posts

When my collection reached 8 I decided to start looking into my own rat colony. Now that I am over 30 snakes in the collection, I am glad I made the choice!
    - Greg

Visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/412Balls/

or our website: http://412balls.weebly.com/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PghBall For This Useful Post:

Viol8r (11-13-2014)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

If your source isn't reliable you'll need to breed your own. That's the biggest reason I started being rats again. I had a couple local sources, but the closest was inconsistent and unreliable, andr I didn't want to make unplanned trips 30 minutes out of my way to pick up rats. Wirth the number of snakes I have now and the sources I found for food and bedding, I am saving money too, but even if I weren't, having the peace of mind knowing I'm in control and can provide for my snakes is worth it.
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

Thanks
    I am currently getting into rat breeding myself. The nearest place that sells frozen rats is over an hour away & time constraints make it hard to make that journey very often. I am starting with 1 male and 2 females for breeding.... and 1 female that I bottle fed that will not be used for breeding at all. I asked some of my friends if they knew anyone with snakes and that's how I found a rat breeder less than 5 miles from my house. We are getting to be good friends and she is giving me TONS of tips on breeding and doing everything right. I think it's in the best interest of the snake to produce your own food. That way you know it's healthy food instead of sickly rats.

Thanks
    I started when I went from 2 bp's to 7 in a weekend. Now if my rats don't produce, it's a $60+ a week food bill.
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets