Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,351

0 members and 1,351 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Jcd5v (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,178
Threads: 248,608
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, turntechgodhead
    Thanks

Quick question about belly heat

I am using a UTH hooked up to a thermostat for the hot hide but the thermostat is designed such that it has to drop a couple of degrees before it starts heating up and rises a couple of degrees above the set temperature before shutting off. I have been monitoring temps with a digital probe and the readings fluctuate between about 88 and 92 (which is the hottest I have seen it go before turning off) but I am wondering if there is any danger in the temperature fluctuating. Also I realize that since the probe is measuring the surface temp of the bottom of the tank and not the substrate the actual "in-hide" temp may be slightly lower. Can anyone out there who uses a thermostat tell me if this is a design issue with my particular thermostat or if they all work this way. If it is normal for the temperature to vary when using a thermostat I won't worry too much, I just want to be sure he is getting adequate belly heat and that it is never dropping too low. He took his first feeding last night which is why I am worried about the hide temps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    The lower end thermostats (the "on/off" types) work this way. The range you've stated is perfectly acceptable for your hot spot - no need to be concerned as long as they stay around the 90 degree mark. The only thing to keep in mind is that sometimes they can get a bit warmer than your set temp simply because they are running at 100% power right up until they are told to stop. Just ensure you don't see any readings higher than 95 and you'll be good.

Also, you're doing the right thing by measuring the tank surface temp and not the substrate temp. As long as you don't keep the substrate too deep (which you shouldn't), your snake will have a nice comfortable home. You don't want to have to turn the heat up too much to reach proper temperature at the top of the substrate and risk burning your snake if they dig down to the tank surface.

The higher end thermostats (proportional types) work a bit differently. Instead of running at 0% or 100%, then provide just enough power to reach the temperature you have set and fluctuate slightly up or down as needed to keep it there.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks

Re: Quick question about belly heat

Thanks so much Eric, that is reassuring. I had considered turning it up slightly to adjust for the hide temperature, but of course like you said that would risk the floor temp getting too high and although I have not seen him burrow down I don't want to risk any dangerous temps. I only started thinking about it because he just ate and I want to be sure it is hot enough in there for proper digestion. I have adjusted for the thermostat too since when it was set to 90 on the thermostat it seemed to go too high. I think right now it is set to 88 or 89 on the thermostat and that seems to keep floor temps where they need to be. Out of curiosity, what would be considered a temperature that is too low for digestion? If it were reading 88 in the hide but was more like 85 where he is lying would that be detrimental, or still a safe range? I have wanted a bp for 10 years and was always scared off by the idea of feeding rodents. I did have a rough green snake for a while but it was long enough ago and the needs were different enough that I am really playing catch up now. Now that I finally have him I am just scared to death of messing up. I am really glad to have found a good site with experienced keeper.

Thanks
    You could turn it back up a degree or two if you wanted to (back to 90), but not much more than that. If he wants more than that, he'll rearrange as needed to find the heat. The most important number is going to be that tank surface temp. That, combined with a thin layer of substrate will be enough to ensure proper digestion.

It sounds like you're being appropriately cautious as a new owner. They are pretty resilient little buggers, so make sure you're having fun with your new addition and not worrying yourself too much!

Thanks

I am absolutely thrilled to have him, so I am definitely having a blast with him, but I am also pretty overprotective lol. I really never thought I would come to terms with feeding one so until recently I had really given up hope of ever keeping one. I guess I just feel like the hope diamond just fell into my lap or something. It seems like I really lucked out though. He has a great temperament and as far as I can tell is adjusting well so I will try to relax =). Even my husband loves him and he is really not a fan of snakes, but how can you not love a ball python right? =P

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.0 Red Tail Boa, 1.0 Carpet Python, 1.0 Western Hognose, 1.0 Tremper Leopard Gecko, 0.1 Chinchilla, 2.0 Cats, 1.0 Dog, 0.1 Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula, 0.0.1 Desert Blonde Tarantula.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiiarah View Post
    ...but how can you not love a ball python right? =P
    Preaching to the choir.