Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,838

0 members and 1,838 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Aag2019 (31)

» Stats

Members: 75,199
Threads: 248,610
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Lilly24601
    Thanks

taking down decor problems?

just curious, does any1 else have problems w/keeping décor like fake plants up? my snake seems 2 think it's a game...I put them back up, he somehow gets em right back down. I'm trying 2 make his tank look pretty n natural, but how can I do so if he insists on raining on my parade? lol any thoughts or suggestions???? my slithery friend is being a menace n I'm just trying 2 make him feel as 'at home' as possible.

Thanks

Re: taking down decor problems?

Oh I know exactly how you feel. What I did is got some suction cups and attached the stems to them and suction cupped the plant to the wall. He hasn't been able to destroy it since.
    -------
    1.0 Normal (100% Het. Albino) - Kaa
    1.0 Pastel Pied - Maxie

Thanks

My BP does this too, you are talking about the fake plants with small bases and also suctioned cupped ones correct? The snake is a primative animal its intention is not that he is trying to mess with you, the issue is the plastic decor are not weight/base sturdy. Most of the fake plants weigh close to nothing majority of what I have are a pound or less and while the snake is exploring her weight and the fact that she is moving through the plants ect knocks them over. One option one of my friend does to avoid this is planting live plants in his tanks but that is more of a hassle than I am willing to undergo.

Thanks

yes, they r the fake plants w/suction cups but my boy is a good 3 2 4 ft n he takes em down no problem!!! the suction cups don't hold, I've tried 2 diff kinds of tape n that hasn't worked either.

Thanks

Never use tape in an enclosure. That can be a real problem if your snake comes in contact with the sticky side of the tape!!
    I use hot glue for my decor. Take your snake out, glue it in and let it cool. The only problem is you have to re-glue it when it's cleaning day.
    So your choice is to put it up daily or spend a few extra minutes on cleaning day. It's not much trouble with one snake, but as the addiction sets in and you expand your collection, well, so does the work!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    I don't want to sound like a jerk, or start trouble. It's incredible how much interaction my snakes have with their decorated habitat. I understand they thrive just as well in racks, but it amazes me how many people feel they can't do well in a properly kept aquarium. (I kept over a dozen boas in the nineties in a more of a rack type set up, and now have balls in decorated tanks).And how they truly can be to an extent, a display type animal. That said suction cups, but they do get knocked down every once in a while.

Thanks

thanks 4 the replies. I will def take the tape out than, I don't want it 2 be an unsafe environment 4 my snake. n no, u don't sound like a jerk. think i'll just invest in some snake safe silicone lol that's a good idea! n it's not really a showcase 4 me, cuz I just want it 2 be more "natural" feeling 4 my snake n he is in my room upstairs, so not many see him anyways.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Try hot gluing them in place, see if that holds up better
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    Try hot gluing them in place, see if that holds up better

The only issue there is it makes it very difficult to clean them... you can't soak or whatnot while the plants are stuck inside the vive. Not that you couldn't still clean them, I just know I wouldn't want the trouble
    Personally I keep plants as floor cover, or set up branches and wrap the plants around them, which keeps them held up that way.

All the best!
    Last edited by NH93; 08-10-2014 at 03:06 AM.
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger