Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 989

0 members and 989 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,207
Threads: 248,622
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, underscore
    Thanks

Where have you taken your snakes?

Just curious where people have taken their snakes, like social events, city festivals, etc. Give your story of your experience, what kind of snake did you bring, would you do it again? Etc.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,672 Times in 725 Posts
    I've taken my ball python to work a few times, my last boss used to fear them but ended up really liking him. I took him to a local school once, my sister is the principal and bet the kids she'd touch a snake if they raised enough fundraiser money. Kids had a blast and he's so laid back it went well. My other snakes are young, newer to me and I don't allow to be handled by others yet. I've had a few small groups of kids through the school and girl scouts come to my house and see my menagerie. I don't take my reptiles out for walks or holidays or things like that though.

Thanks

Re: Where have you taken your snakes?

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    I've taken my ball python to work a few times, my last boss used to fear them but ended up really liking him. I took him to a local school once, my sister is the principal and bet the kids she'd touch a snake if they raised enough fundraiser money. Kids had a blast and he's so laid back it went well. My other snakes are young, newer to me and I don't allow to be handled by others yet. I've had a few small groups of kids through the school and girl scouts come to my house and see my menagerie. I don't take my reptiles out for walks or holidays or things like that though.
    That's really cool. I want to do some school educating events when my Cole ti on gets bigger.

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks
    I've taken Boots (ball python) with me to a little girl's birthday party. Her mom had babysat our pets before during times where we had family emergencies, so she would come over to take care of our pets and she's bring her daughter with her. She seemed to really like the snakes, so we decided we bring my super docile BP to her birthday party so her and the kids could have a chance to pet and hold her.
    Once or twice, during a nice sunny day, I'd drape Boots on my shoulder when I'd go walk my dog so she can absorb some rays. I would also go trick or treating with a friend as a snake handler on Halloween for the past two years, so you can imagine the perfect prop for that. I actually really enjoyed it; it turned out to be a perfect opportunity to introduce people to snakes and educate them and people really liked them. Several people ended up petting and holding the snake and even snapping some pictures. It was great.
    Boots, my first and super docile and confident BP, is always my go-to ambassador animal. My second BP, Julias, is rather nervous so she doesn't typically go anywhere, although because Boots was in shed last Halloween, she turned out to be a decent enough replacement. However, I haven't taken them anywhere lately.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet Herp; 07-05-2014 at 11:59 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluebonnet Herp For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (07-05-2014),JW360 (07-05-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pythonminion View Post
    I've taken Boots (ball python) with me to a little girl's birthday party. Her mom had babysat our pets before during times where we had family emergencies, so she would come over to take care of our pets and she's bring her daughter with her. She seemed to really like the snakes, so we decided we bring my super docile BP to her birthday party so her and the kids could have a chance to pet and hold her.
    Once or twice, during a nice sunny day, I'd drape Boots on my shoulder when I'd go walk my dog so she can absorb some rays. I would also go trick or treating with a friend as a snake handler on Halloween for the past two years, so you can imagine the perfect prop for that. I actually really enjoyed it; it turned out to be a perfect opportunity to introduce people to snakes and educate them and people really liked them. Several people ended up petting and holding the snake and even snapping some pictures. It was great.
    Boots, my first and super docile and confident BP, is always my go-to ambassador animal. My second BP, Julias, is rather nervous so she doesn't typically go anywhere, although because Boots was in shed last Halloween, she turned out to be a decent enough replacement. However, I haven't taken them anywhere lately.
    That's so awesome and an awesome costume idea I may have to take that one. This is great I love hearing stories like this because it's not everyday you see some one walking down the street with a snake. You see dogs all the time, but people need to know how great of a pet our reptiles are.

Thanks

Nowhere, with current laws and regulations I'm not about to put a target on my back.
    Not to mention the stress on the snakes.

Thanks
    I've taken my BCI girl to college with me a few times, once for an English final that I did about snakes, the other was for my Biology class. I believe Satin's the perfect size for educational purposes: big enough to wow people (6ft), but small enough that people don't feel too intimidated (people are a little more inclined to want to see her if "a skinny little girl" can hold her, haha). She's very laid back and has never acted aggressive or nervous of large groups; since I've gotten her everyone always wants to see her or hold her so she's used to being around/held by strangers. She's even been held by younger kids with no difficulty (supervised, of course). I'm hoping in the future as I get more snakes that I can find more opportunities to do educational shows. It's really rewarding to see people that have professed to being avid snake-haters at least understand that snakes aren't evil monsters. It's okay not to want to own them or even want to be around one, but at least understand them.
    Last edited by xFenrir; 07-05-2014 at 03:51 PM.
    --------
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Colombian BCI (Satin)

0.1 Spider BP (Loki), R.I.P... We will never forget you...