Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,946

0 members and 1,946 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,175
Threads: 248,604
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, LouveniaEl
    Thanks

Taiwanese Beauty Snakes

The local family owned pet store just got some Taiwanese beauty snakes in and they are pretty cool. Anyone have any? Just curious as to their dispositions and stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    They are absolutely gorgeous and at least some of them have nice personalities. Not quite the level of docile as a BP, but not aggressive either. My impression from what I've read & heard is that generally they require a bit more handling to keep them tame, but as long as they are handled regularly they should tame down ok. I don't think they would ever be content to sit in your lap & watch a tv show the way BPs can be though. They, like most colubrids, are much more active. They get pretty long, over 6 ft, but it isn't a thick heavy body so the mass is much smaller than a similar length of python.

Here is an old thread where an owner talks about his quite a bit. Unfortunately, most of the pic links seem to be broken, but it was a really gorgeous snake.
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...s-at-14-Months
    Casey

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kc261 For This Useful Post:

Pyrate81 (06-19-2014)

Thanks
    I've kept and bred them a couple of times over the years, beautiful and impressive animals. Expect them to be 7-8' long on average for well kept cbb animals and about as big around as a baseball...most of the ones I've had by the time they were full grown, were capable of eating a full grown jumbo sized female rat. They aren't typically aggressive, but they can have a wicked feeding response and are incredibly fast animals, much more so than you would expect from an animal that big. I never handled mine much and still had no trouble with getting them out, they could be just a little cage aggressive when I first opened their tubs, but that quickly went away when no food item showed up for them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rascal_rascal_99 For This Useful Post:

Pyrate81 (06-19-2014)

Thanks
    Fantastic animals. Very active. Mine is almost always out cruising around. As far as temperament, mine is very flighty at first but calms down. I have handled some that were the spawn of Satan, but not many. They do seem to go through a phase were they can get nippy, but most will grow out of this quickly. They almost never turn down food, and they are pretty easy to keep. Husbandry is pretty simple. I keep my warm side at 83 and my cool side at 75. Humidity around 70%. As far as enclosure size, go as big as you can. This is one species that will use every inch of space you give them. Females typically get 6-7', while males will get 7-8'. Girth is about the same size as a water bottle.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jackal_727 For This Useful Post:

Pyrate81 (06-19-2014)