Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,975

1 members and 2,974 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,204
Threads: 248,615
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, madballreptiles
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Suggestions for Raising Ambient Temperature with this Tub Setup Please!

Hi there, this is my first post! I'm trying to perfect my temps/humidity before getting my first ball python. I apologize for this common question, but I've read most of the "ambient heat and plastic tubs" posts and still can't decide on a "best" option for this scenario.

My current set-up is as follows. 66 quart Sterilite tub (23x16x13) with UTH underneath running off a Hydrofarm Thermostat. I got a 100W ceramic heat emitter on a dimmer clamped 8" above the tub to help maintain ambient heat. Any closer and I'm afraid it'll melt the plastic. As expected, it does very little to improve temperatures within the tub. Here is a potato picture of the setup (Random side question: if I can comfortably hold the metal of the lamp with CHE running on full power - is it not getting hot enough?)

The Accurite thermometer within the tub reads a consistent 90-92 under the hot hide, but only 68-70 on the cool side. My humidity is too high, around 85, but I can fix that by adding more holes in the tub.

SO, the way I see it, I have several options for improving the ambient temperature:

Option 1) Use soldering iron to cut a lamp-sized hole in the tub lid. Cover the hole with wire mesh and aluminum tape. Put CHE lamp directly over the hole. Pros: No additional purchases necessary, may help get humidity to proper level. Cons: May reduce humidity too much. Giant hole in top of tub. I'd be grateful for pictures/examples of where this has been done successfully.

Option 2) Buy a small space heater to heat the surrounding area. Pros: Doesn't require cutting holes into tub, no risk of snake getting burned. Cons: Inefficient and costly, don't want/need to heat the whole room. Recommendations for cost-effective space heater models would be appreciated

Option 3) Use FlexWatt or a Radiant Heat Panel on the side of the tub as additional heat source. Pros: More direct heat than space heater. No need to cut hole in tub. Cons: High cost, more useful for heating surfaces than ambient air.

Option 4) Get a second UTH and thermostat for the cool side of the tank and set it to 80 degrees. Pros: Direct, controlled temperatures where needed. No holes in tub. Cons: Ambient air temperature still a problem. I'm getting conflicting information on whether ambient temps even matters for terrestrial snakes?

I have seen all of these options suggested on various forums. I need help picking the most effective one for my setup. What do you guys think? Suggestions, advice, and other options to consider are all appreciated! Thanks very much to everyone here for getting me on the right track to responsible snake ownership.
    Last edited by thejennabird; 02-25-2014 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Formatting and grammar

Thanks
    I put both of my snakes in our bedroom closet. I bought a cheap electric heater with a thermostat fro walmart. I keep the closet at 80 degrees and the heater only runs a couple of minutes an hour. Humidity stays good.
    1.0 lesser yellowbelly
    1.0 banana
    1.0 black pastel
    0.1 lesserbee (Alice)
    1.0 firefly (cranky Frankie)
    0.1 fire (Dottie)
    0.1 het clown
    1.0 double het pied/clown (Stryker)
    1.0 bearded dragon (Ziggy)
    0.1 sulcata (Ellie)
    1.0 mini schnauzer (Bailey)
    1.0 b rainbow boa (Trip)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Why are you using so big of a tub??
    Honestly without heating the room #4.....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Slim (02-25-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    Option 5) Use a tub that's only 6 inches tall like a Sterilite 41 Qt. You are heating way to much wasted air space.

EDIT: Pit beat me to it LOL
    Last edited by Slim; 02-25-2014 at 02:40 PM.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Re: Suggestions for Raising Ambient Temperature with this Tub Setup Please!

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    EDIT: Pit beat me to it LOL
    You sir are getting slow

Thanks

Thanks for the advice so far. I wish I had a spare room or closet that I could dedicate to snakes, but my apartment doesn't even have a full closet!

Regarding why I chose a "taller" tub: like many people who opt for glass terrariums, I wanted to be able to see my snakes and provide a little extra headroom. No, I don't expect my snake to use all that space (I'm not sure anyone who has a 20 gallon long does...?), but I felt a larger tub it would make viewing easier. I read up on the debate between plastic tubs and glass terrariums and decided to opt for plastic. I felt this size was a "middle ground" between the advantages of plastic tubs and the size of glass tanks. That was my reasoning, at least!

I plan on buying a female and anticipate her outgrowing that space. So I'm saving up for an Animal Plastics T-8 for when the snake reaches adulthood. The T-8 is my ideal "final solution". In the meantime, I decided to go with Sterilite while the snake was still small and might be uncomfortable in a larger enclosure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    You sir are getting slow
    Ah my friend, I'd have to speed up quite a bit to reach the speed of slow
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (02-25-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thejennabird View Post
    Regarding why I chose a "taller" tub: like many people who opt for glass terrariums, I wanted to be able to see my snakes and provide a little extra headroom. No, I don't expect my snake to use all that space (I'm not sure anyone who has a 20 gallon long does...?), but I felt a larger tub it would make viewing easier. I read up on the debate between plastic tubs and glass terrariums and decided to opt for plastic. I felt this size was a "middle ground" between the advantages of plastic tubs and the size of glass tanks. That was my reasoning, at least!
    I understand your thought process, but I think you are starting to see the difficulties involved with heating that extra airspace.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (02-25-2014)

Thanks

You're right! Indeed I am (hindsight being 20/20). I figured someone here must have encountered similar issues and found an ideal solution. I just wasn't sure which solution it was!

Thanks

This is what I did with my tall tub for my boa until I get my apcages.

I ended up cutting a square slighter larger than my lamp with a box cutter (very dangerous and hard to do) and cut some old mesh from an old lid ill never use again (I recommend mesh from home depot or something) and because I didn't have anything else, I hot glued the mesh with some tin foil to help it stay. I glued a lot to be sure the mesh would stay.

So far its good. Its enough ventilation for the boa too. Could be a round circle though, but I couldn't the way I was cutting it.

Keeps the ambients higher, though the higher head space is an issue and it loses it fast unfortunately.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kilopular For This Useful Post:

thejennabird (02-25-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast