Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,984

4 members and 2,980 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,204
Threads: 248,615
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, madballreptiles

Thread: BTS vs Beardie

Thanks

BTS vs Beardie

Was planning to get another snake, but have changed my mind & thinking a lizard maybe a nice change.

I have plenty of time to research & prepare as we are battling a mite issue with my snakes at the moment so no new critters for me yet =/

At first I was looking into a Uromastyx...but I'm wanting a lizard I can handle a lot & heard these guys can be harder to tame down.

So which is better...a Blue tongue or Beardie...or are they both equally as good. They both are good looking to me, the BTS seems like its slower moving & easier to pick up which appeals to me...but the Beardies come in SO many colours & are super cute!

Is one easier to keep than the other..

Help me decide

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts
    I've kept beardies before and would keep one again in a heart beat!!! Very cool!!! Eat a lot though and have stinky poo - lol. I've never kept a BTS before but another one I would keep without a second thought. If it were me and both were in front of me I would probably go BTS because I have never had one before BUT depending on the bear die I had to choose from it could be a VERY tough choice!!!
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks
    I keep both, I have one male beardie, and two IJ blue tongue skinks. Husbandry is pretty straight forward on both. Blueys are susecptible to getting mites because they have larger scales, I had a mite issue with my first one, but its all good now. Personality between the two lizards is night and day.

My beardie is a little huffy at times and could really care less as far as being held, he has stopped biting for the time being but every once in a while he gets me (doesn't hurt though) Feeding for them is easy, I feed crickets, meal worms, wax worms, dubias and he always has a fresh bowl of greens.

The blueys are a thicker lizard, and depending on the species you get the husbandry needs to be tweaked a little bit. As far as feeding goes some people will say to feed wet dog and cat food. I personally don't and wouldn't, why feed a food that is formulated for a cat or dog. I make my own food for them, which is a pretty big mixture of things. They are really smart lizards and tend to interact a bit more than my beardie does. They are a little slower moving, but you would be suprised if one really wanted to get away. They have some strength to them as well. I have never been bitten by my bluey, I have had one close call, but they generally bite as a last resort, and their jaws are powerful enough that you learn to respect the signs when they aren't in the mood, but if you get a captive bread animal that really isn't an issue. You really can't go wrong with either animal, I myself are partial to the blueys as they are definately my favorite reptile to date. They do require a little more time and effort into their care than the beardie does.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jclaiborne For This Useful Post:

Boanerges (02-18-2014)