Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,946

0 members and 1,946 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,156
Threads: 248,597
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Lucasthesurf
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Respiratory. Infection vet meds not working

how closly do you watch the snake? watch it after it's been given the meds to make sure it's not coming back up, and is this a big snake? if that's the case ask your vet for syringes with thin needles so you can inject meds into the food, a big snake will be fine to eat a pinky mouse everyother day, or however often you have to give them meds, that's been injected with the medicine. Most to worry about is the snake constricting the meds out before eating it, hence the small needle. If that fails last best thing you can do is have the vet give you a syringe with a tube so you put the meds directly into the stomach. As a last resort you can have the vet give you injections, if he's competent he'll know it has to be diluted because injected batryl causes necrosis and painful sores, however diluting will prevent that. But absolutely get a culture, i recommend a lung wash, much more expensive but it will give you way more accurate results, and in the end you'll spend less.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Faolan View Post
    if that's the case ask your vet for syringes with thin needles so you can inject meds into the food, a big snake will be fine to eat a pinky mouse everyother day, or however often you have to give them meds, that's been injected with the medicine. Most to worry about is the snake constricting the meds out before eating it, hence the small needle. If that fails last best thing you can do is have the vet give you a syringe with a tube so you put the meds directly into the stomach.
    Old thread alert!

Oral medication given to a snake via syringe or injected into food will not help.
    Snakes have very slow metabolism. It wouldn't process or absorb very well, if at all. It's best to inject the snake directly into the skin(sub-q) or under the muscle(intramuscular).

Thanks
    My vet gave me baytril oral suspension because the injections do damage to tissue but I see everyone else on here seems to get injections I hope my vet knows what she is doing. I asked her about nebulizing f10 and she had never heard of it. I ordered a reptifogger and will be starting treatments with f10 as soon as I get it in addition to the antibiotics.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    0.3 normal 1.1 pastels 0.1 spider 1.0 fire 1.0 lesser 1.0ringer 0.1RTB 1.0 Savannah monitor.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ironpython View Post
    My vet gave me baytril oral suspension because the injections do damage to tissue but I see everyone else on here seems to get injections I hope my vet knows what she is doing. I asked her about nebulizing f10 and she had never heard of it. I ordered a reptifogger and will be starting treatments with f10 as soon as I get it in addition to the antibiotics.

It is true that Baytril does cause tissue damage when injected, which is why most people don't use or recommend Baytril. Not to mention Baytril has been overused in vet med, which lead to many bacterial strains to become resistant to it. Not many RIs can be treated these days with Baytril, which is why so many of us push for to get a culture to test out which antibiotics are effective.

You can also nebulize the antibiotic. It will be more effective than oral administration.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by satomi325; 11-24-2013 at 01:17 AM.

Thanks
    My vet took a oiece of the gunk from the roof of my OG hatchlings mouth and found it full of bacteria so she prescribed a mouth rinse with diluted chlorhex. And Baytril so I have been swabbing and giving baytrill orally and then letting the snake soak a few minutes in slightly warm water in the sink and keeping enclosure around 100 degrees in the hide with misting to keep it humid. Tomorrow will be a week of treatment and he is wandering out of the hide and his mouth is closing and no gunk in mouth along with less mucos and hes not holding his head up. Big improvement, now I wonder if I should still nebulize the f10 when the fogger gets here.

0.3 normal 1.1 pastels 0.1 spider 1.0 fire 1.0 lesser 1.0ringer 0.1RTB 1.0 Savannah monitor.

Thanks
    Oh and the baytrill is diluted with a vitamin

Thanks
    I tried to feed him a mouse fuzzie but he refused if he doest eat in a few days Im going to assist feed, just hang a fuzzie in his front teeth and gope he swallows. And he doesnt stink anymore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12