Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,281

1 members and 3,280 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,151
Threads: 248,593
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Lunarlily28
    Thanks

Almost feeding time.

Got our 1st BP last Friday, the breeder where we got her feeds her snakes on Friday's and she gave the one we got a f/t mouse hopper an hour before we showed up and also that same day she help us out with some more mouse hoppers and one rat pup. The baby was born on 9-5-13. This Friday me and wife feels more better to feed her in a different enclosure (Not sure yet). I will like to know if that might make the baby stress out a bit and just refuse the meal. And also should I feed her a mouse hopper or try a rat pup she has never had a rat before. Any pointers about switching from mouse to rat? Any kind of advice will be great.

Thanks
    Feed in enclosure. Moving makes your snake stress out and the last thing a newly moved baby needs is to be stressed. Give her what she was getting this week. Do you have a scale to weigh your little one? It would really help you figure out what size prey item to feed her. For snakes under 500 grams, the general rule is 10-15% of the snake's body weight every 5-7 days. Another good rule of thumb is you want to feed a prey item that is as big or a little bit bigger at the widest part than your snake's widest part. I would say a mouse hopper is going to be too small, even if she was only hatched out a month ago, but I would keep her on what she's on for now then move up as she gets settled in.

Also, welcome to the forums and post a pic or your worm when you get a chance!
    Black Pewter het Hypo Vestris; Black Pastel Enchi Zamira; Black Pastel Cheryn; Hypo Enchi Sofia; Lesser Pastel Eren; Super Mojave ???; Piebald Mako; Fire Vin; Pastel Estelle; Spider Hanji, Ezri; Normal Angelina, John, Aradia; Mojave Joe; Anerythreustic Kenyan Sand Boa ???; German Shepherd Dog Atticus; Rats Snowman, Colette, Calliope, Eliza, ???, ???

Thanks

Re: Almost feeding time.

I told my wife to relax and try feeding her in the enclosure but she is still a bit nervous about the snake maybe mistaken her as the meal instead. No we never picked one up yet but I surely am later on this month. o yea I will def...take some photo's
    Last edited by jessica87; 10-09-2013 at 02:08 AM.

Thanks

So, she takes a hopper will that be enough til the next feeding, if not how you know she might be still "Hungry"?

BPnet Veteran Coopers Constrictors's Avatar
    Thanks
    Throw another one in there in a few days. If she eats, great. If not, try again a few days after that. I try and feed babies every 5 days or so, especially the active ones.
    Best Regards,

Jeremy Cooper
    Cooper's Constrictors

Website / Facebook

Thanks
    I would definitely feed in the enclosure, you are more likely to get bit moving the snake back in forth while its in feeding mode. Also a stressed snake that has just eaten can possibly regurgitate the meal.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Thanks

We decided to feed her early this morning 6:30am in her enclosure, it took a bit she wasn't flickering at it so watching a video on youtube a guy heated his mouse with a heat lamp which did the trick for us, she started to flick her tongue moved all around the cage and eventually got a good sniff and bam!....She swallowed it so quickly and after she was finished she just kept looking out for more her gut still looks empty.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jessica87 View Post
    We decided to feed her early this morning 6:30am in her enclosure, it took a bit she wasn't flickering at it so watching a video on youtube a guy heated his mouse with a heat lamp which did the trick for us, she started to flick her tongue moved all around the cage and eventually got a good sniff and bam!....She swallowed it so quickly and after she was finished she just kept looking out for more her gut still looks empty.
    Try offering her another.
    ~~~~~ROACH ~~~~~
    1.0 Normal
    1.1 Piebald
    1.0 Banana
    0.1 100% Het Piebald
    1.1 Het Lavender Albino
    1.0 Lesser
    0.1 Killer Bee
    0.1 Spider
    1.1 Pastel
    0.1 Butter Bee
    1.1 Mojave
    1.0 Black Pastel 100% Het Piebald
    1.0 Fire
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Lesser Bee
    0.1 Super Pastel
    0.1 Cinnamon

Thanks
    x2

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Thanks

Oh, I wasn't expecting such fast reply's. So I took a nap after her meal. It's been 7-hours now you think it's too late and wait 5 more days to feed her again?