Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,084

1 members and 1,083 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,158
Threads: 248,599
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Brayden0924
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BP Bites

Thanks
    I have had my bp 2 mos and I think he tried to bite me Sunday night when I was handling.
    He was exploring the sofa and started to get toward the end so I pick him up and I think I moved my hand to far up his neck in combo with lifting him and his head to near the edge of the sofa arm. He moved sooooo fast it seem he was trying to strike at my back arm holding up the back end of him. He never hit me and it freak me out so bad I simply let go of him and he fell about 2' on to the floor. Afterwards I reached right down and started handling again and he has been fine. I know he doesn't like his head to near things so maybe he was just moving said head real quick, I dont know.
    I was wondering how bad the bite would be on a bp around 2'
    Hopefully I wont find out

Thanks
    I got a recent import female (adopted frrom the jerk who bought her at a smarmy local pet shop.) While putting her into a new rubbermaid yesterday, my boyfriend was standing just a bit too close to me. The snake was fast as lightning, and chomped into his hand! It took nary a second, but the wound blad from several tooth-puncture holes! Maybe now he's learned to give BPs the head-room they want!

Banned
    Thanks
    You know what the cutest thing in the world is, baby bp's that bite. No doubt, those sassy lil hatchlings takin small nippy bites. It's cute as hell, thats why I like getting nippy babies. Shows personality and they stand out. I told Chip, who I got 2 of my bp's from, to try and find some that are real nippy for me. It's just so cute. And last year, bout this time, I was buying what I thought were adult cb females from a shop. I asked for the nippy on, but they wouldn't let me have it.

Thanks
    Bp bites aren't bad, you just have to remember when you are bitten by any snake you should't pull away (easier said then done I know), but if you pull your hand away (or any part that is in the snakes mouth) you can do major damage to the snakes teeth and facial structure, Best advice I can give is this:
    1) Example: Snake bites you and hangs on, but DOES NOT constrict:
    ---Gentle hold the snake at the base of it's neck (gently) and wait it out, eventually the snake will let go, if it doesn't try pouring water on the snakes face.
    2) Example: Snake bites you and DOES constrict:
    ---Gently unroll the snake starting at the tail, and or pour water on it's face, some people also use forms of alcohol to pour, we've lucked out with just water. (it's bad enough dealing with an angry snake, just imagine an angry drunk snake..lol)

Just thought I'd share what works for us, Different people do different things that work for them.
    Thanks
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good info, Rusty...thanks!
    Question for you: How do you overcome that reflexive action that makes you jerk back when a snake lunges at you? I'd hate to do that with a mouthful of teeth sinking into my skin!
    -- Judy

Banned
    Thanks
    You don't, kinda like trying to not blink when someone is throwing their fist at your face. It catches ya off guard, and reflexes take action before you can even think.

If it's a typically nippy snake that you're expecting to bite at any moment, you can catch yourself. But if it happens suddenly you're bound to jerk back.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    when i got bit i didn't move at all because she was constricting my arm!!!

I just sat there and watched her munch the top of my hand untill my girlfriend went and got me some warm water.
    BP bites do not hurt and they bleed very little but I had a 7 foot columbian rescue that got a hold of my wrist now that was an unpleasent feeling luckly it was a defensive strike so she didn't latch on. It bled quite a bit and realy hurt wuite bad
    Girlfriend: Your room smells like reptile!!!
    Me: Are you saying my balls smell??

Thanks
    I've been stuck at by a baby ball in a pet store, i think it was just scared cause it struck and immediately recoiled back.

My friend has a 4 ft long aduly bp and it nice as can be and loves to handled, however it seems to enjoy anchoring its entire body at its tail. It just holds onto your arm with the last 4 inches of its body in the tightest grip you could think of, definitly cuts off circulation in a minute or two. Just makes the snake feel more secure I suppose, we're nothing but warm moving trees to them...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12