Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,197

0 members and 2,197 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,179
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ReptiFreak
    Thanks

Need Help With a Hedgehog

I bought a hedgehog from a local breeder about a month ago. It was a little hissy and balled up when I saw it and he told me that was just because he was quilling and would be fine after that stopped.
    Well, it hasn't stopped. The hedgehog curls up and hisses as soon as you go near it. If you try to pick it up, it bounces so the quills hit you. Once it is finally out, I put it on the floor by me and wait. About a half hour later it uncurls and starts moving. If I attempt to touch it, it will make a clicking sound, hiss, try to bite and curl up again.
    I am really pissed right now. I feel like this breeder lied to me and this is really just a nasty hedgehog and he took advantage of the fact that I was trusting a breeder.
    I could have gone to the petstore but instead went to a breeder. What a mistake!
    Any help in calming this thing down would be great.
    This was a birthday present for my daughter but she is scared of it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts

Re: Need Help With a Hedgehog

Well, that's what hedgehogs do. You don't sign a contract with them for them to be nice or anything. There's nothing to be pissed about, hedgies that are nice are worked with. It takes time. Just like an aggressive snake.

If you can, take it back to the breeder. You don't seem to be ready for one yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Need Help With a Hedgehog

I had a little guy when I was younger it took a while for him to get used to me I would sit with him on a blanket on my lap until slowly he got used to me an would let me pet him an all that. But even after used to me if he got scared he would ball up an hiss or try an bite ha he got my lil sister good few times
    Normals 1.3
    Spider .1
    Carpet Python .1
    Dog APBT .1

Ohio but looking to relocate grrrr new laws!
    Thanks

Re: Need Help With a Hedgehog

Hedgehogs aren't domesticated pets. They take time and patience to calm down. The way my wife takes hers is to just sit with her hand in there cage and Let them relax and get used to her scent. After they are comfortable with that she will hold them on her lap on a fleece cage liner. But if you don't work with them daily they wont ever calm down. And even her well behaved ones still ball up when they first get picked up. Put the time in and do some homework and it'll be a good pet. Don't and you will be rehoming it.
    Come see what's new with us at https://www.facebook.com/BFEPetsandSupply

Happy Herping!!!!

Thanks
    The only fault that lies with the breeder is that he told you that your hoggy would calm down after quilling. Otherwise, the hedgehog behaves perfectly naturally for a hedgehog in an unfamiliar environment. Be patient with it, or take it back to the breeder. Your choice.

going to a pet store probably would have given you a more ill mannered animal, in all honesty. Sick, no socialization at all, bad breeding, the possibilities are endless. With a breeder, they have some type of standards. Very rarely will patronizing a pet store improve your chances of a well-mannered animal.
    Last edited by Archimedes; 04-12-2013 at 07:29 AM.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks
    sounds exactly like a hedgehog. who made you think they are cuddly pets?
    1.4 Ball Python 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Bci