Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,212

3 members and 2,209 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,179
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ReptiFreak
    Thanks

Former Customers Using Your Pictures....Worth Saying Anything?

Happened upon one of my pictures being used in a craigslist ad. From the other two pictures posted (not mine), I can tell that this is one of my hatchlings from last year for sale. Ive had this happen every once in a while, but as long as it really is my animal I havent said anything. Is there any reason Im not thinking of for me to say something?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 689 Posts
    I wouldn't be upset for someone using my pictures if they purchased that animal. IMO, the purchase of the animal is (or can be, really up to the breeder) also the purchase of that animal's pictures. Maybe I'm too lenient in thought about it. I just don't see a reason to be put off by a customer using pictures that I took, of the snake they purchased.

Thanks
    Do you have a licensed company through which you breed and sell? if so any images produced of anything belonging to aforementioned company might fall automatically under copyright or trade mark laws/regulations...especially if a company or personal logo was incorporated into the images (much like 3skulls watermark he puts on his pictures).

It also depends on how they (if they are actual customers) are using the image(s)
    Last edited by OsirisRa32; 03-03-2013 at 10:53 PM.
    1.1 Pinstripe - Orion/Eos
    1.1 Lessers - Typhon/Kali
    0.2 Dinkers - Stella & Wildfire
    1.0 Desert - No Name
    1.0 Het Red Axanthic - No name
    0.1 Woma- Cayenne
    0.1 Cinnamon- Nutmeg
    2.1 Mojave- No names
    1.0 Mystic- No Name
    0.1 Mahagony- No Name
    1.0 Black Pastel- No Name
    1.0 SD Tiger Retic- Thor
    0.0.1 Green Tree Python (Apollo)
    0.2 Labs- Daisy & Ruby

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I think this is the main reason alot of people watermark their photos.

Thanks

Re: Former Customers Using Your Pictures....Worth Saying Anything?

Quote Originally Posted by RoseyReps View Post
    I wouldn't be upset for someone using my pictures if they purchased that animal. IMO, the purchase of the animal is (or can be, really up to the breeder) also the purchase of that animal's pictures. Maybe I'm too lenient in thought about it. I just don't see a reason to be put off by a customer using pictures that I took, of the snake they purchased.
    I wouldnt go so far as to say theyve purchased the pictures (as in they can do whatever they want with them), but so far Ive never said anything, mostly because Ive never really thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by OsirisRa32 View Post
    Do you have a licensed company through which you breed and sell? if so any images produced of anything belonging to aforementioned company might fall automatically under copyright or trade mark laws/regulations...especially if a company or personal logo was incorporated into the images (much like 3skulls watermark he puts on his pictures).

It also depends on how they (if they are actual customers) are using the image(s)
    Not a trademark. So far, there was only one case where the pictures were being used to represent an animals that was not mine....I did say something then.

Thanks

Re: Former Customers Using Your Pictures....Worth Saying Anything?

It's really up to you. I, personally, don't want other people using my images and calling them their own. I would say something, but I'm a stickler for that kind of thing. I'm not opposed to people using my images so long as they ask for permission. But..that's also why I finally have my own watermark to start marking my images.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A copyright comes into existence automatically at the moment a photograph is taken; thereby the copyright belongs to the photographer, so because you sell the animal to someone does not mean that you sell them the right to your pictures.

Unless you release the copyrights to those pictures they still belong to you even if the animal does not.

Now is it worth it to say anything? Depends.

To me it's really a matter of courtesy, the buyer could have ask however he probably assumed that since the animal was HIS so were the pictures.

When I sell an animal it comes with a CD containing pictures of the animal purchased as well as a copyright released of said pictures.

If it really bothers you do not release the copyright and have a watermark on the pictures.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 03-03-2013 at 11:36 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

BHReptiles (03-03-2013),Daybreaker (03-03-2013),PyramidPythons (03-04-2013)