Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,399

4 members and 2,395 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,151
Threads: 248,593
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Lunarlily28

View Poll Results: How do you view Raw diets for dogs?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I feed my dog on an exclusive raw diet

7 26.92%
  • I feed my dog both raw and kibble

8 30.77%
  • I don't feed my dog raw but it is what they ate for thousands of years before we came along so it makes sense to feed them raw (I'll consider it)

10 38.46%
  • I refuse to feed my dog raw food the risks (please list) outweigh the gains

1 3.85%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks

Re: Raw Diet vs Commercial Dog food

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    For me, raw is too much trouble and I'm not sure it is worth the extra effort. I've researched quality foods at this site: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/ and feed high quality kibble. The dogs eyes are clear, with no tear staining, coats are clean and shiny and they are healthy. The key is quality, whether you feed raw or kibble.
    Lol its not even that hard, but most of the people in this country and elsewhere like the "open bag, pour" method more.
    To me it is, being that my dog is dilute he already has issues just based on breeding. He was never allowed to be on a grain in diet, God it was horrible when he was and that was at 4-6weeks old. He was taken off and put on grain free and had been up until mid last year.
    Dogs didnt evolve on little cooked cereal bits, they evolved on raw foods and yea the higher quality kibbles are a great thing for people who dont want to take the time breaking down animals to feed their dogs. I just refuse to pay that much for a processed food when I can spend half that and get twice as much food.
    That website is a great tool to help figure out what your feeding and where it stacks up in the overall scheme of the kibble brands.
    I am glad I stopped feeding TOTW, the quality of the feed is really going down hill and even when it was up and no issues with quality I still had to bathe and feed my dog ACV to keep him from being overtaken by yeast, now I dont ever have to give ACV and can just give it as a supplement not a medication to cure his yeast.
    To me its worth it, my dog is in better health and condition that he was on kibble.

But yea, quality of ingredients is the main thing, regardless of what you feed.

Thanks

My Danes were weaned onto raw, and that's all they've ever eaten. It's a little more work than opening a bag and pouring, but knowing that my boys are eating a high-quality, correct diet gives me a little extra peace of mind, especially when dealing with the needs of a giant breed that is prone to bloat. I will never again feed kibble to a dog if I can avoid it, and haven't in more than 10 years. Not to say that all kibble is junk - there's certainly some good stuff out there. I simply feel that raw is the *absolute best* option available, and my boys deserve nothing less than that.
    Last edited by Kara; 06-20-2012 at 05:04 PM.
    Kara L. Norris
    The Blood Cell - BloodPythons.com
    Selectively-bred bloods & short-tailed pythons
    Quality is our only filter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    My Danes were weaned onto raw, and that's all they've ever eaten. It's a little more work than opening a bag and pouring, but knowing that my boys are eating a high-quality, correct diet gives me a little extra peace of mind, especially when dealing with the needs of a giant breed that is prone to bloat. I will never again feed kibble to a dog if I can avoid it, and haven't in more than 10 years. Not to say that all kibble is junk - there's certainly some good stuff out there. I simply feel that raw is the *absolute best* option available, and my boys deserve nothing less than that.
    Are you by any chance a member of DFC? Lol there are a million and a half raw feeders there who have Danes!
    One thing I have noticed is when the people with Danes feed raw their dogs live so dang long! I havnt met a Dane over 6-7 and some people who feed raw have Danes 11+ years old, which is amazing when you think about the state of the breed in this country!

I am having to supplement my dogs raw with premade raw because I cannot cut up pork bits in the house I am staying in and he has issues with beef because he is a tard or something, but I was so dreading having to get him on 50% kibble or full kibble and I am so glad I remembered about the premade lol

Thanks
    I've nosed around on it a bit but that's it & usually stick to breed-specific forums. Are you in any of the raw co-op groups online? If not let me know & I'll send some info your way. Great way to network & score some good deals on raw in your area.
    Last edited by Kara; 06-20-2012 at 05:12 PM.
    Kara L. Norris

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    I've nosed around on it a bit but that's it & usually stick to breed-specific forums. Are you in any of the raw co-op groups online? If not let me know & I'll send some info your way. Great way to network & score some good deals on raw in your area.
    Yea I dont fit in very well because I like my APBTs to be true to breed standard, not mushy wittle cuddly poo's and such lol
    They are very "fur mommy" and I am not very lol

I am not currently, I have been looking around for people in my area who feed raw who know butchers and stuff but no luck, most people are much farther out than my driving area. It would be awesome if you could sent me some links or something I could sure use more places to get meats for my cat and dog!

Thanks
    Info sent via PM. Hope it helps you find some other resources in your area.
    Kara L. Norris

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts
    I'm really intrigued by a raw diet, but by no means have to money to afford to switch to it.

However, I do make cut backs to ensure the dog food I get is good for them. Both dogs I have are rescue mix breeds (GSD x Shiba Inu and Lab x Sharpei), I talk to our vet all the time about their nutrition. Since I attend Oklahoma State, we go to the vet clinic run on campus by the uni. They've got us on Hills Science Diet, and since they're one of the top three programs for vet school in the nation whose to argue with them. I really like the HIlls, it's relatively expensive but I always can get coupons and store discounts on it too.

Browsing on Tapatalk from my iPhone

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kodieh View Post
    I'm really intrigued by a raw diet, but by no means have to money to afford to switch to it.

However, I do make cut backs to ensure the dog food I get is good for them. Both dogs I have are rescue mix breeds (GSD x Shiba Inu and Lab x Sharpei), I talk to our vet all the time about their nutrition. Since I attend Oklahoma State, we go to the vet clinic run on campus by the uni. They've got us on Hills Science Diet, and since they're one of the top three programs for vet school in the nation whose to argue with them. I really like the HIlls, it's relatively expensive but I always can get coupons and store discounts on it too.

Browsing on Tapatalk from my iPhone
    Actually raw feeding is FAR cheaper than feeding a kibble diet. For the 48$ I would spend on a bad of TOTW for a month for my dog, I can usually get about 2months of meats and organ.
    At first its a tad expensive because you have to figure out where to buy large quantities of meats, but once you find the stores or co-ops you can usually save a ton.

I try and do my own research on nutrition because 99% of the time the Veterinarian isnt very well versed in it, and I dont trust anyone who learned all their dog nutrition information in school from dog food companies..
    The dog food companies pay for the nutrition education when your in school, teaching you only about THEIR kibbles, why would you trust them?? Of course they push Hill's and Pedigree, thats who pays them(the Vet.) when you buy it and all they ever were taught in Veterinary school! I trust very few Veterinarians when it comes to what I put in my dogs body.

I would never feed Hills, for that price you can get a really good quality GRAIN FREE kibble that would actually be good for your dog.

I dont know if I am allowed to link other forums, but here I think you should go check them out, post a thrad and see if they can help find you something better than Hills
    www.dogfoodchat.com

I get if you dont care, and if you think "well this works, why change" but some of the stuff they use to make that food is horrendous and I would probably feed my dog McDonalds before I would feed anything Hills/Pedigree.. but again, thats just me.. I just want you to go ask and look around on the site and just become acquainted with what your feeding your dog, dont assume that because its sold in the Vet office or because they say its good and the best, that it actually is..

Just my 2cents.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pookie! For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (07-03-2012),The Serpent Merchant (06-28-2012)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234