Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,079

4 members and 1,075 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,202
Threads: 248,614
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, CUGrad99
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts

Angry Pants Gecko!

I think I posted this same issue before, but I'm bad with the search function and I don't think I really got a satisfying answer from that thread. Here goes:

One of my 2 crested geckos is absolutely wild. It used to sleep hidden, but now during the day it just lies flat on the bottom of the cage (paper towel) in the corner closest to where I'm active in the room. When I get home it props up into what I would call an aggressive stance... but I've also seen lizards stand this way when they're hungry. If I go anywhere near the cage, it tracks my movements wildly and frequently leaps at the glass if I go near. In the middle of the night I get up out of bed and hear a ping every time from the gecko leaping directly at me and nailing the glass. When I go in there to move it to eat or clean, it has bitten me but I think that was when I woke it up and it got startled.

Why is it so mad? Is it insanely hungry? Is it going through puberty? It's gaining weight at a nice steady pace and doesn't look saggy or anything...

I will add that the other geckos cage (probable male) is right next to it and it used to exhibit this behavior toward the other gecko. It now does it toward me. What's weird is that my other gecko doesn't seem the least bit concerned with battling and is extremely mellow and chill.

The first questions you'll ask:

I've had Littlefoot for about 4 months. When I got it, it was sold as a probable female as there were no apparent pores at about 6 grams. I think it's double that weight or more at this time. Visually, about double. I offer CGD every 3 days and leave it in there for 2. It eats fine. I offer about 10 of the smallest crickets I can find every 2 weeks or so and feed in an empty cricket keeper. There is a moderate amount of cover in the cage including a live pothos. Temps are 75-78 always. I haven't had any indication of it shedding at any point since I got it, which I believe means it is happening well. I mist moderately every evening before I go to sleep.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks
    Are they housed togehter? Sorry, you said there were two. Figured I'd clarify! Second: Can he see the other gecko?

My Crestie actually did this exact behavior last night... when I had my snake out of it's tank and she was drifting too close to the geckos with her head. My crestie took on an aggressive stance and repeatedly leapt at the glass until I moved away (probably only 2 bumps against the glass).

Seeing as this JUST happened to me, I'd say it could be aggression, or it could be defensiveness. How is the cage laid out? That might give a better clue too. I have a social and active crestie, and a reclusive and sensitive gargoyle gecko. The crestie didn't care how the tank was laid out. However, my Garg would react strongly if his tank wasn't 'ideal'. Meaning, cluttered and offered TONS of hiding spots. Since then, he's out actively and does not show defensiveness.

Can you possibly post a picture of the cage? I know it sounds weird, haha, but the husbandry sounds right. I'm wondering if it might be a layout issue. Possibly a proximity issue to something in the room?

My geckos go weird when they can't see each other. No, I'm not kidding. I have their tanks on two seperate book shelves, but in such a way that they can see each other from across the room. When I had them seperate, the behavior in both geckos changed. Food refusal, biting, general aggression. Once they could see each other (from a distance, mind you), they calmed. Almost one of those survival things, you know? They might be solitary, but if they see another animal... Well... Now it's a 50/50 shot that they'll get eaten by predators. When they're 'by themselves', I can see how a more defensive 'survival' mode would activate.

This is just my experience with my own personal group, though.
    - Danielle

Snakes are just tails with faces....
    1.0 Pied BP, 1.0 Crested Gecko, 1.0 RAPTOR Leopard gecko, , 0.1 Desert Pin BP, 1.0 Albino BP, 0.1 Leachie Gecko

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Vasiliki For This Useful Post:

MrLang (06-20-2012)

Thanks
    It can still see the other gecko as they are side by side in 12x12x18 exo-terras, but the other gecko has calmed down a lot over time and spends most of his time hiding. I'll post a pic of the enclosures later. I did have this gecko on the 'inside' cage and switched it to the 'outside' cage, where presumably there is less security? That was around the time it stopped hopping at the glass at the other gecko and started doing it to me.

Thanks

There's also a little hide in each behind the plant pot. As you can see, the angry gecko is just standing there giving me the death stare, as seems to be the case almost all of the time recently.

Thanks
    I see your problem!

You need to clutter that cage up way more for your little guy. He's definitely, definitely feeling insecure. The floor is really exposed. The upper parts are really exposed. Should have lots of climbing branches. Pretty much, you want to FILL the space visually as much as possible and leave the center open for your little guy to hop around. Yes, you are correct. On the inside he felt secure. Now he's on the outside, 'exposed' and is defending himself against a possible predator (you!)

This is my 'shy' Gargoyle gecko's set-up. The plants are all fake. In fact, I've considered adding at least one more item (haven't found one that works yet) just to block out a bit more of that bottom Left corner. Possibly a thick piece of bamboo at an angle. Since putting him in this tank, he hides all day and comes out at night. He eats like a piggy and is putting on so much weight. He went from fleeing when I walked in to calmly watching me, even when he's 'out' on a perch or plant. I also added two bamboo 'sticks' crossing in the center too, after this photo.

This is my Crested gecko's set-up. After this photo I also added a bushy 'fern' plant in the corner that had bendable leaves, so I could create a 'cave'. It didn't fill up the space, but provided a visual barrier. Cashew loves his bamboo sticks and is often hanging out on them. Since going into this cage (next to the Gargoyle), he has become almost social! I walk into the room and he hops up onto his perches and tracks me. I open up the cage and he'll hop out onto my hand (Yes, I'm completely serious).

I know people love real plants, but I love how flexible and consistent fake plants are. They won't wilt or die. They always provide great cover and they're easy to clean.

If you give this a try and let your little guy 'chill' for a few weeks, I would bet money that he will improve. He might be defensive for a few months until he completely calms down, but he should stop attacking the glass !
    Last edited by Vasiliki; 06-20-2012 at 01:58 PM.
    - Danielle

1.0 Pied BP, 1.0 Crested Gecko, 1.0 RAPTOR Leopard gecko, , 0.1 Desert Pin BP, 1.0 Albino BP, 0.1 Leachie Gecko

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Vasiliki For This Useful Post:

MrLang (06-20-2012)

Thanks
    Thanks I was running a more 'minimalistic' setup because I read that's what to do for a baby. I guess now that they have grown a bit and are established and feeding, I should start dressing things up. The pothos isn't getting enough light to grow, so I'll probably scrap those for now and fill the space with something jungly.

Thanks

Re: Angry Pants Gecko!

Quote Originally Posted by MrLang View Post
    Thanks I was running a more 'minimalistic' setup because I read that's what to do for a baby. I guess now that they have grown a bit and are established and feeding, I should start dressing things up. The pothos isn't getting enough light to grow, so I'll probably scrap those for now and fill the space with something jungly.
    I think minimalistic set-up for babies likely meant things like: no dirt substrate, smaller enclosure so they know where the food is, paper towel to monitor that they're eat, etc. As far as I was aware, babies need to feel just as secure as adults do, if not moreso.

Glad to hear you're going to give cluttering up a chance! Luckily, these guys bounce back easily when you figure out what's stressing them. So I think your little guy will be just dandy
    - Danielle