Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,682

1 members and 1,681 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,170
Threads: 248,599
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, viersa
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts

Re: Male Rats = Friends or Foes?

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    If you breed two males with females and then put them back together in a cage "in my experience" they will beat the crap out of each other.

My males detest each other
    X2. Once male rats breed move into 1.4 groupings, they never meet another male rat again at my place. Asking for problems from my experience. Just keep the male with the two females. Things will be just fine.

Regards,

B

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    My litters started getting smaller so now I rotate the males and I am giving the females time off after weaning.

Thanks
    I have two males that are litter mates and were being housed together. They used to get along great and cuddle and be all sweet. Then I started to rotate them in with the females for breeding. They started to fight a lot and relatively bad fights where blood was drawn and they both had noticeable bite wounds. I split them up and they are now both with females full time.
    Last edited by babyknees; 02-02-2012 at 08:12 PM.

1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks
    When I raised rats I had two hairless brothers that were raised together and I would rotate them between the girls and put them back together all the time. Never had any issues with them. Really depends on the rats
    Brittany Davis
    0.1 Snow BCI- Isis
    1.0 Hypo Motley het Albino BCI- Rupert

Ball pythons
    1.0 Champagne, 1.0 Albino Spider, 1.0 Savannah, 0.2 Normal, 0.1 Het Toffee, 0.1 Black Butter,
    0.1 Spider, 0.2 Pastel, 0.1 Enchi, 0.1 Albino

Thanks
    Hmm. Would it be better if I pair one male with one female, and always keep that same pair - but always put the four of them together at the same time?

I have 4 containers - one that the females live in, one the males will live in, and two others - should I use the two others to pair the males and females separate in separate containers, that way neither of the males is left in the "home tub" while the other is off getting nookie?

Would that potentially keep the males from hating on each other? Maybe getting a bath before re-introducing the boys?
    4.4.1 Normal BPs (Pandemonium, Sable, Typhon, Oberyn, Tortuga, Peekaboo, Naja, Kundalini, Icky)
    1.0 Het Pied BPs (Argonaut)
    1.0 Lesser x Butter BEL BP (Castiel)
    0.1 Pueblan Milksnake (NoFeet!)
    0.2 Cats (Little, Ty)
    0.1 Dog (Lucy)
    0.2 Rats (Jezebelle, Puddle)
    1.2 Mouse (Lemur, Tunami and Tsunami)
    Vermont Strong.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    I have a group of 5 males together. I haven't had any problems with them at all. Even when one is out on breeding rotation, the rest just greet him when I put him back into the boy bin. They were all raised together since weanlings and are well socialized. They play, groom, and cuddle with each other. They have an established hierarchy already, so I assume this is the reason why they don't fight. Most males who fight are trying to establish dominance and the right to mate.

Even when I put two males into the same female tub, they don't fight. They seemed to take turns doing their business (the more dominant going first of course). I guess I could compare this to a male lion coalition, where they share females or something...lol

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xotik View Post
    Hmm. Would it be better if I pair one male with one female, and always keep that same pair - but always put the four of them together at the same time?

I have 4 containers - one that the females live in, one the males will live in, and two others - should I use the two others to pair the males and females separate in separate containers, that way neither of the males is left in the "home tub" while the other is off getting nookie?

Would that potentially keep the males from hating on each other? Maybe getting a bath before re-introducing the boys?
    You could have one male w/ a group of females. This might be good if you don't want a lone male to be by himself. If you want to keep the genders separate, then that's fine too. Its just a matter of preference. I've done both ways. I personally like keeping the males separate.

A bath before reintroduction may work. And maybe don't keep him away from the 'boy tub' for long as he could lose his place in the hierarchy. I know a few people who breed show rats will only place a male w/ a female between a few hours to overnight, then reintroduce him back w/ the males.

In the end, I think it really just depends on the males if they fight or not.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yep. Depends on the male. Right now I have my Siamese male and females together with my dumbo male and females. No problems. I also had my huge breeder male with his huge adult son in the same bin for months. No problems.

Maybe the word got out between my males that the jerks end up in the freezer.

I say go ahead and get the male you are in love with, see how it goes with supervision. Or keep him with the females 24/7 if he can't get along.

Angela

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aldebono View Post
    Maybe the word got out between my males that the jerks end up in the freezer.
    Hehehe.

I went to speak to the rodent supervisor (she was out when I spoke to them originally) and she said there were actually two males that were already established on their own. I told her I would take both if the actual owners make up their mind (apparently they have a week to pick them up or the pet store will sell them). I really don't want to wait a week, but I'd rather wait for these two than buy regular ones from the box stores.

I think I will do my plan of pairing one female with one male, and make it so that when males meet females everybody is on neutral territory, and no one is left back in the "home" by themselves.
    4.4.1 Normal BPs (Pandemonium, Sable, Typhon, Oberyn, Tortuga, Peekaboo, Naja, Kundalini, Icky)
    1.0 Het Pied BPs (Argonaut)
    1.0 Lesser x Butter BEL BP (Castiel)
    0.1 Pueblan Milksnake (NoFeet!)
    0.2 Cats (Little, Ty)
    0.1 Dog (Lucy)
    0.2 Rats (Jezebelle, Puddle)
    1.2 Mouse (Lemur, Tunami and Tsunami)
    Vermont Strong.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    My daughter's pet ratties always get along.

Remmy was the oldest male, her first. When we got him a few girlfriends just before his midlife crisis, he was fantastic with the little ones. He went into a separate cage when the mommies were about to pop, just to give them a break. When the little fuzzes were weaned, they stayed with papa Remmy for a little while before being separated by sexes, and he adored the little ones. They'd all gang up on him and rough him all up, but he loved it.

Occasionally one would squeak, but Remmy always made them behave. When Shadow her Siamese male came to live with us, Remmy and his son Junior made him right at home. Shadow and Junior both love the little ones, and played happily with them whenever they could. When Remmy left us, Shadow stepped right in to the role of nursemaid to the little guys. What was hilarious considering he was well over a pound in weight and most of the babies were no bigger than his head!

When a lone male rescue came to live with us, Ambria introduced him to the "bachelor pad" and although he was very nervous at first { we think he'd never seen another rat }, the boys made him feel right at home. Shadow is no longer with us, but Junior and Ricky still love each other and still want to play with the babies.

So, it really does just depend on the rats. Even when Remmy or Junior or Shadow went to visit the ladies, that was just an excuse for an extra loving grooming when they got back to the bachelor pad.

Gale
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

11. The Following User Says Thank You to angllady2 For This Useful Post:

aldebono (02-02-2012)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12