Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,310

1 members and 3,309 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,151
Threads: 248,593
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Lunarlily28
    Thanks

Help Please! Attempting to make my first rack and terrarium

Alright. So I will be making my first rack and my first terrarium (something along the lines of boaphiles) next month. I need some help though, I'm terrible at math D=

I'm wanting to make a 4 tub rack (Like the Rhino Racks) and a 4 x 2 x 1 1/2 terrarium out of melamine. I want to make sure I'm getting the right measurements right off the bat so I can get them cut right then and there at Lowes and not have to worry about having to recut any of it.

With the rack I want it more deep than wide too.

So first, can anyone help me with the proper measurements of both of these? I know they will be different than the boaphiles as I'll be using melamine which is much thicker than the plastic they use.

For the terrarium I want to have two doors (Like the 421 Coupe Cage from boaphile) and put in a divider that I can remove. Would it be best to drill the divider in place and later on when I want to remove it just remove the drills and plug the holes? And now I'm hearing belly heat isn't so grand and we should be doing back heat with the flexwatt should I do that for both the rack and the terrarium? And with the terrarium should I cover the flexwatt with some peel and stick tiles or anything? Or would that block the heat from it too much?

Does anyone know if Lowes or Home Depot will cut glass? And will they drill the glass as well so I can connect the hinges?

And should I make the glass rounded on the corners or is square fine?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated. TIA
    0.1 het Albino Super Dwarf/Jampea Reticulated Python
    0.1 Super Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.4 Normal Ball Python
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python
    0.1 Fire Ball Python
    0.1 Spider Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser Ball Python
    0.1 Ivory Spider Ball Python

Facebook - Add me =D

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    The rack dimensions will depend on the size and shape of the tubs. They should fit well but not too tight.

The enclosure I'd look at plexy glass or lexan instead of glass if you are hinging it. it is way easier to drill. If you want glass I'd buy it at a glass place it is usually cheaper and often they will have glass track so you can have sliding doors that is easiest with glass.

I'd HIGHLY recommend PVC for the floor it is easy to heat though and clean. The heating a wooden enclosure is hard at best. The pvc floor can be screwed and fastened just like wood but it is hard to glue so think mechanical fastening. (NOT PVCx it is also harder to heat through. Better insulator for tops however.)