Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,184

4 members and 2,180 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,170
Threads: 248,600
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, viersa
    Thanks

Exclamation my rescue boa! :)

So i just need to rant off for a bit, i'm really getting sick of people abusing reptiles,i see it more in reptiles then any other animals
    SErsiously people, if your feeding your snake live food watch it dont throw it in the tank and leave the room and same with heat lamps inside the tank,

i got a 6ft 2 red tail boa in september, my best friend got it from from some misses in town who didnt take care of it after her boyfriend left, the poor thing we figure had the heat fixture inside the tank his hole top jaw is mangles he only has 4 outta the 6 rows of teeth, nose is almost gone and he is blind in one eye, he is between 10 and 13 we are guessing and was never really handled tell i got him.. they said he was aggressive but he is far from it, but this poor snake is terrifyed of stuff.. i got him out the summer for a small walk on a really warm day and gets him out of his tank as often as i can, he hardly eats which i dont like.. i might be lucky to get him to eat a jumbo rat once a month.., if im lucky 2 times a month .. but this is a sin what people let happen to these poor beautiful majestic creatures !

As soon as i figure out how to post pictures ill add pictures of Freddy !

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bambam1313 For This Useful Post:

rome75 (02-03-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts

Re: my rescue boa! :)

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1313 View Post
    So i just need to rant off for a bit, i'm really getting sick of people abusing reptiles,i see it more in reptiles then any other animals
    SErsiously people, if your feeding your snake live food watch it dont throw it in the tank and leave the room and same with heat lamps inside the tank,

i got a 6ft 2 red tail boa in september, my best friend got it from from some misses in town who didnt take care of it after her boyfriend left, the poor thing we figure had the heat fixture inside the tank his hole top jaw is mangles he only has 4 outta the 6 rows of teeth, nose is almost gone and he is blind in one eye, he is between 10 and 13 we are guessing and was never really handled tell i got him.. they said he was aggressive but he is far from it, but this poor snake is terrifyed of stuff.. i got him out the summer for a small walk on a really warm day and gets him out of his tank as often as i can, he hardly eats which i dont like.. i might be lucky to get him to eat a jumbo rat once a month.., if im lucky 2 times a month .. but this is a sin what people let happen to these poor beautiful majestic creatures !

As soon as i figure out how to post pictures ill add pictures of Freddy !
    Kudos to giving him a good home! Hope you can get him eating in no time.

Some suggestions:

Until he's an established eater (ie feeding regularly) I would not handle him. This is most likely stressing him out and most of the time a stressed out snake = a non feeder.

Also, what was he eating before you got him? Jumbos may be right for his size but if he's being a picky eater I'd offer a smaller prey item - that might jumpstart his feeding responses.

And, idk if you're taking him for walks in public/around your neighborhood or whatnot but just be weary of people who don't like or are scared of snakes. They may not appreciate an adult boa be out in public around them/in their view (even if it's in your front or back yard or the like).

For pics: I add mine to photobucket and copy and paste the image code into a message.
    Last edited by Daybreaker; 11-30-2011 at 11:57 AM.
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1313 View Post
    [FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="4"]

i got a 6ft 2 red tail boa...he is between 10 and 13 we are guessing... he hardly eats which i dont like.. i might be lucky to get him to eat a jumbo rat once a month.., if im lucky 2 times a month ...
    Depending on prey size, a mature adult boa will only eat every 2-3 weeks.
    Good job on giving him a home...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

Skittles1101 (11-30-2011)

Thanks

Both of the above post hit everything. But if you want him to become a Bette eater you should try to feed him smaller meals. That's how we got our Burmese up to medium sized rats. Worked our way up on mice. Good luck. And good rescue.
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.