Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,640

2 members and 2,638 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,175
Threads: 248,602
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, LouveniaEl
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Anyone have ideas on how to keep a dog off the bed while you are gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Cendalla View Post
    I've thought about knitting husky hair sweaters for Christmas.
    When I was a kid, we had a neighbor who raised collies. She also had an old fashioned spinning wheel. She would literally spin yarn out of collie hair and then make blankets and stuff with it. Pretty wild.

(Sorry for highjacking your thread, Steph! LOL)
    -- Judy

Thanks

You know those plastic mats that go under rolling chairs on carpet? Get several of those and put them upside down on the bed while you are gone. Works like a charm.
    0.1.0 RTB (Kona)
    0.1.0 RTB Anery 66% PH Albino
    1.0.0 RTB Hypo Het Anery 50% PH Albino
    1.0.0 BP (King Julian)
    0.1.0 BRB (Tiki)

Andrew Geibel

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewGeibel For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (11-12-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VEXER19 View Post
    Well first off is there a door you can close? I know thats probably a dumb question but if you dont crate your dog wich I dont but I have boxers that are short hair and they sleep in our guest bed or couch when we are gone. Dont you have a bedroom door you can just close? And what kind of dog is it? Then I can probably give you a solution once I know what your working with.

Sorry I just saw the dobie. So nvm on the type of dog but how hold is it?

Nvm again I just saw the pic...lol.
    Lol, yeah, my problem is that I want the kitties to be able to lay in bed. We have a guest bed she lays in sometimes, a couch, a bed for her, blankets on our bedroom floor, and a recliner...she's just being a pain, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeandsheleen View Post
    We had the same problem with our Boxer and the couch; his toenails would put holes in the upholstry. We bought a roll of "carpet protector" that had spikes on the bottom. I cut it to fit the couch and turned the spikes up. He never got on the couch again. Or the loveseat, or the rocking chair...
    Our leather couch is a disaster, I feel your pain. Great idea with the carpet runners. Looks like I need to invest in some of those!

Quote Originally Posted by Cendalla View Post
    I use a gate in the doorway. We have a husky and she explodes hair. We brush pomeranians off her almost daily (just way too much hair). She can't get over the gate and my cat can manage to haul his sizable bulk over it to sleep on the bed. Works for us. Good luck
    And a grate, I will be getting one of these as well I think! I have a heck of a time keeping the cat food away from the dogs, and this would be an easy fix! We had a baby gate, but she chewed it up when she was a puppy

I'm just thinking the blind cat might take awhile to figure out the grate, but I think she will learn pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Too funny!

I second (or third!) the baby gate idea. Worked wonders for our dobie. It quickly got to the point where you didn't even have to actually fasten the gate into the doorway...just lean it against it and she wouldn't go near it. (Of course, if the cats are going to be jumping over it, it should probably be secured. LOL)

And make sure she has a warm, cozy alternative to lay on when its chilly. Mine is spoiled rotten and is allowed to lay on the sofas and we usually have throw blankets out...she'll ALWAYS choose lay ON the blanket if there is one out. (They get washed rather frequently!)

Something spiky mentioned earlier might help, too. Something that will give her a very clear message immediately that getting up on the bed is a BAD idea. The cats might be banished from the bed for a day or two while spiky stuff is up there, but they'll get over it. They're a lot more stubborn about those sorts of lessons than a smart dobie.
    I will definitely be getting a baby gate and some carpet runner! And that is too funny, and so true! A couple times jumping up on the carpet runner will be all it takes for the dobie, but the cats will keep doing it! I put foil in front of the TV because our fat cat loved to sit right in front of it. Then after a couple days he realized if he just got up their quick and stopped moving the foil didn't make any noise...dang cats

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    When I was a kid, we had a neighbor who raised collies. She also had an old fashioned spinning wheel. She would literally spin yarn out of collie hair and then make blankets and stuff with it. Pretty wild.

(Sorry for highjacking your thread, Steph! LOL)
    Lol no problem, that's pretty funny, and kind of disturbing, lol. At least collies have nice soft fur like a llama!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewGeibel View Post
    You know those plastic mats that go under rolling chairs on carpet? Get several of those and put them upside down on the bed while you are gone. Works like a charm.
    Will do!

Thanks everyone!

Thanks

it'd be hilarious if one of ya'll stayed home hiding on the floor on the other side of the bed & when she jumps up on it thinking ya'll are gone that person would pop up & yell something like "BUSTED, you hooligan! get off the bed!" but then i remembered you have a doby so then that mental image ended with said person getting their face stitched up after surprising the dog.
    either close the door to that room or find someway of using something to startle her every time she jumps on it & after awhile she'll get the hint but i've seen your training videos so it shouldnt take too long to get her to learn that trick.

my current collection
    1.2 kiddos
    1.0 better half
    0.1 mojave ball python (Nyx)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Hemera)
    1.0 Eastern Box turtle
    3.4.? rats (? = litter coming any day now)
    0.1 dutch rabbit (Lucy)

my "future hopefuls"
    0.0.1 pied cockatiel 0.0.1 white bellied caique 0.0.2 guinea pigs

Thanks
    I also want to suggest baby gate. We used this with my great dane, the cats could still get through. Actually, in my old house we kept her in the kitchen, and trained her that it was basically her crate. Worked very well, and she had her food and water that way. Now she stays in the basement when we are gone, and the cats free roam upstairs. She has her own little room and lots of space to stretch out down there.

Muffy's Morphs

5.7 ball pythons, 0.0.2 GTP, and some Tarantulas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12