Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,848

1 members and 2,847 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,154
Threads: 248,595
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GrantW

Thread: Ackie Monitors

Thanks

Ackie Monitors

I am thinking about getting a trio of ackies as my first monitor. I have kept other lizards before but not any monitors before and I have a few questions. Whats average price for them? Who sells these magnificent monitors because I have been unable to find any. Also what the difference between Yellows and reds besides size and price? Would a 4x15"x30" be good for a trio? Or would I only be able to get one( if that). Any extra tidbits of info would be nice. Thanks for the help anyone!

Thanks
    We (Pro Exotics) just sold a hatchling trio of Red Ackies last week. We have an email notification list, with LOTS of folks on it, and this last trio sold in 20 minutes from the time I sent out the availability email. I can't remember the last time I advertised hatchlings, as demand is always high and they typically sell within a day of my email blast.

They are $300 each, $260 each in trios. No hatchlings available for sale now, but more eggs are cooking.

There is a subtle visual difference between Reds and Yellows as adults, but they look very similar. You can keep a pair or trio in a 4 ft trough as adults, but bigger is better, like a 6 ft or 8 ft setup, with a couple feet of good diggable soil.

Ackies are a super rewarding captive lizard, and my #1 overall recommended captive lizard species, they are fantastic!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Robyn@SYR For This Useful Post:

satomi325 (08-19-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Ackie Monitors

I also use a trough..

4'x1.25'x2.5' sounds small.

4x2x2 is used by many people HOWEVER, you must be able to provide proper temps even in the substrate which is much more difficult than it sounds.

Set up a cage....probe it for temps to ensure you can maintain proper temps throughout year round and then go forward.

You will need a minimum of 75 degree cold end of your cage. Your hot end will vary but a hot spot is a must. Hot spots vary from 130-150+ depending on age.

my trough is kept in a heated room. my room is 82 degrees and provides a 72-74 substrate temp. I added 3 50 w bulbs, 2 of which are on a thermostat set at 90 degrees. All three lights are then on a timer to provide a 12/12 light cycle. Most days only one light is used.

My substrate is 80-90% sand. I basically used the sand used for the bottom of above ground pools and added enough earth (pulled from my back yard) to turn the sand brown in color.

I use an auto misting system for my gtp, I ran a spare nozzle to my ackie trough just for kicks. The cage is misted for 20 seconds every 8 hours but that is just an easy overkill for me.