Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,790

0 members and 1,790 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,154
Threads: 248,593
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GrantW
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    With it being pretty common knowledge that a significant percentage of ball pythons are imprint feeders (regardless of prey type - I've seen rat feeders that wouldn't take mice), I really don't see any reason to feed ASF's to ball pythons unless they are WC individuals that will only eat those or gerbils. WC animals like that just aren't common enough in collections anymore for this "ASF fad" to have taken off like it seemingly has - especially considering the high price of ASF's, and their relatively poor availability in many places. It certainly doesn't help that ASF's are illegal to have in some states. This type of thing creates problems for potential customers, which is why I avoid ASF's. Even though some will switch to mice or rats with no problem, it just doesn't seem to be worth the risk to me when rats are simple for any keeper to obtain an inexpensive supply of.
    Russell Lawson

Thanks

Re: Misconceptions - Can we clear this up?

I have some that have switched back and forth, but I have one female who latched onto ASF and won't let go. I've tried everything, and only ASF's work - and she has gone a LONG time without food. It's too risky for me to ever feed ASF's again.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I don't think the title of this thread will go away....
    Maybe the "misconceptions" aren't so misconceiving afterall... Super common problem, no, but yes, it does happen.
    Anyone want to buy an 06 albino stuck on gerbils, just as a say-so? j/k....

Thanks

Agree, my Bp's and Boas have all tasted asf's and will take to anything else I put in there. I have yet to see one go off feed yet so I don't know the frustration.

Thanks

I have lots of Ball Pythons! I raise rats, mice, and Asf's. I feed my guys what ever I have a surplus of. I have never had any trouble switching. I received 6 babies right out of the egg last year. I started them all on asf's. I did not have any issues. I bought a 800 gram female that was raised on mice. She was my most difficult to switch, but she did.

I own 1 major problem child. It does not matter what you give her, she will only take food once a month. Maybe twice on a good month. The food also has to be left in overnight. She is around 500 grams. Her sister is 1800 grams.

I believe if a snake is going to be picky, it does not matter what you are feeding.

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts
    I have had hundreds of ball pythons over the years. Many have been from a local home based rescue that I run. I have had everything you can imagine come in... Some real horror stories. That said, here are the facts (in my experience).

1.) I have never had a snake that in time I could not get eating again.
    2.) I feed asf rats because that is what ball pythons are supposed to eat.
    3.) I have never been unable to switch a snake from ASF's to normal rats. or vice versa. If everything else is right, it isn't a problem.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Cavanaugh For This Useful Post:

Shadera (08-27-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Very good post! I also have had no problems doing the switch. I have fed ASFs a few times here and there, same for mice actually. I have a local supplier sometimes there is more demand than supply and it is a case of feed or not. I have picked up adult mice and sometimes ASFs.

I believe that ball pythons imprint food groups they seem to prefer one over another but at least in my experience they will eat what there is to eat if they are hungry. I believe the Barkers say 'happy healthy ball pythons will eat' sooner or later....

Thanks

Very informative thread. I have kind of an issue with the sentiment that I see a lot of people expressing, that all ball pythons are different. Certainly there is a range of personalities when it comes to these animals. That being said I think that the variety of experiences that people report are more likely the result of differences in the people caring for these snakes. When we hear two stories. One person says they have had problems switching their one or two snakes and another where someone says they have no issues with their 20 what should we think? I see a lot of people jumping to the conclusion that the person with two snakes has snakes that are different than the 20 the other person has. It seams far more likely that with some small changes the person with the troublesome snakes would have success. I don't have 20+ BP so I don't have the expertise but I do respect the expertise of those who do have large collections. I have seen some compelling evidence that mousers are very real. I have tons of warnings and no real evidence to support imprinting on gerbils. I have mixed evidence surrounding ASF imprinting but so far I am trusting that switching from ASF to rat is easy when compared to getting a mouser to take a rat.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123