Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,420

1 members and 1,419 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,207
Threads: 248,621
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, underscore
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    I've actually heard that hairless is a good substitute for an asf. I have a friend that I used to get my rats from and he had a few really picky snakes feeding them hairless got them back on food. So the snakes don't care at all.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Will snakes eat hairless rat prey?

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    Double rex patchwork is just a hair trait, it doesn't have anything to do with how well they lactates and they do fine as moms.
    Question? How hairless does a patchwork have to be to be considered hairless? I have a few that are somewhere in between there. Does anyone have pictures that may help?
    It is possible that the non-productive females I have are more double rex than hairless (they only have hair on their bellies/lower sides). But they still do not care for litters.
    In any case it would be awesome to gain some clarification. It does seem that I have some patchwork females that do ok raising litters, while the ones that have less hair do not do well. I would say the ones that are lest than 30% covered in hair.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    Patchworks can never be considered true hairless as true hairless is a recessive trait completely different than the Dominate rex trait that a double rex patchwork is.
    I don't have pics but one of my partners has several almost completely naked double rex moms that have no problems nursing their young.
    He can also get his hairless moms to feed 2 or 3 kits but that's about it, they do lactate but not enough to feed a whole litter so he passes the babies out to other moms.
    I've gone away from double rex's except in my dwarf lines but I will say some of the nicest rex coats I've made have come from double rex to standard coat.
    Jerry Robertson

4. The Following User Says Thank You to snakesRkewl For This Useful Post:

accidental777 (04-25-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Will snakes eat hairless rat prey?

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    Patchworks can never be considered true hairless as true hairless is a recessive trait completely different than the Dominate rex trait that a double rex patchwork is.
    I don't have pics but one of my partners has several almost completely naked double rex moms that have no problems nursing their young.
    He can also get his hairless moms to feed 2 or 3 kits but that's about it, they do lactate but not enough to feed a whole litter so he passes the babies out to other moms.
    I've gone away from double rex's except in my dwarf lines but I will say some of the nicest rex coats I've made have come from double rex to standard coat.
    Ok....more questions. So far I fallow you.
    The "hairless" females I have I picked up at a pet store. They were labeled as such, but I am about 90% sure they are double rex patchwork. It there any way to tell just by looking at them? I also, have a male "hairless" that I picked up in town at another store. When comparing the two sets of rats, I can tell that the male has far less hair, as he is 100% nekked. I would guess, that my females are indeed double rex patchwork, and the male would be hairless.
    If I were to breed the two together, I would have no luck producing hairless, correct? I would make hets, but I would not get anything visually hairless?
    On another note, I have another male that is a rex. He looked like a patchwork when he was about 6 weeks old, but has since grown a full coat of curly hair.
    I have bred him to 3 different females, and then bred his offspring together. from this, I have gotten what appear to be some hairless but could also be patchwork with a reduced amount of fur (about 25%), I have also gotten definant patchwork, rex, and normal coated rats.
    The ones that appear to be hairless ar now 8 weeks old, and do not have fur. Would they still be considered double rex patchwork because of their genetics?
    I have checked out the afrma website, but they do not mention much about patchworks or acutal genetic for hairless/patchwork. Thanks in advance for answering these questions.
    Last edited by accidental777; 04-25-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12