Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,417

0 members and 1,417 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,204
Threads: 248,615
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, madballreptiles
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: 18 months old...

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Wagner View Post
    Bill I heard of a guy who breed a female like you are doing and she got a infection in her rectum and died. Yes it can hurt from what I am told. I guess when you want them to go people push them. By doing what you are doing you should hit her when she has developing follicles. The Ultrasound really helps in that Dept!

Brock
    Brock, I sincerely appreciate your concern for my collection and about breeding practices.

I find myself being more of a "learn by doing" breeder. There are an endless supply of 2nd-hand stories of "a guy who knew a guy". I put more stock in "first hand experience" as being the best teacher.

For instance, I don't think twice about breeding a 500-600 gram 6 month old male because "I" have had repeated success with breeding them -- NOT because someone said I should/shouldn't pair a young male or some urban myth-like story. You know Brock, like the one about NEVER breeding a male unless they were at least 800 grams and 18 months old -- or Caramels having a 50% kinking rate. I have FIRST-HAND experience that NEITHER of those are true.

Truth be told, with each new year, breeders are breaking new ground on breeding techniques and practices. But I am not telling you anything you don't know.

With that being said, I LOGICALLY don't see any thing detrimental about how I am breeding her. I could be wrong OR I could be correct. Time will tell...
    Bill Buchman

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: 18 months old...

Bill sorry I wasn't trying to offend you I was just telling you what I have been told.

I too breed young males sometimes before they are 500 grams but I try not to make a practice of it. I think that if they are young and small it could possibly stunt them and make them a bad breeder the next year. I have some experience with this.

As for the Caramel thing I will be honest I have hatched out plenty of kinked Caramels. I know tons of people that have. You will to if you keep breeding them which judging by the many pictures I have seen you will. Some people won't admit that they produce a kinked Caramel and that is fine.

Good luck to you this breeding season!

Brock

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123