Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,999

1 members and 2,998 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,204
Threads: 248,615
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, madballreptiles
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Thanks

Re: female mouse is killing her baby!!

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    That right there is why she's killing them, don't feed her because of your error. The only thing I've done with my female who had pups is put in food, change the water, and use a flash light to look into the birthing box.
    Wells its past 6 days now thought things would be alright. First time breeder with mice geez sorry...

Thanks

I have a litter that's roughly the same age. The only time my hands go into the tank is when it's time to put in more food. Otherwise, I leave her and the litter alone. Chances are, I won't touch the pups until it's time to wean at 4 weeks.

1.0 Western Slender Glass Lizard; Logos
    0.1 Charcoal Cornsnake; Morana
    1.0 Golden Gecko; Smoothie
    1.1 African Plated Lizard; Cypher and Nara

Thanks

personally i wouldnt feed mice foods that are meat based especially dog and cat food.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nixer View Post
    personally i wouldnt feed mice foods that are meat based especially dog and cat food.
    The problem is, most cheaper dog foods have grain products and corn listed as the number one product. The meat products are usually way down at the bottom. It's only when you get into the more expensive, specialty dog foods is the meat higher up on the list.

I don't think there's much of an issue. I know several people who have rats and mice as pets. Both said you can give either pretty much anything as long as it isn't fried and it isn't covered in sugar. One even mentioned giving her rats a treat of baked chicken.

1.0 Western Slender Glass Lizard; Logos
    0.1 Charcoal Cornsnake; Morana
    1.0 Golden Gecko; Smoothie
    1.1 African Plated Lizard; Cypher and Nara

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

well I feed that forti diet or what ever its called too.
    As mention in a previous post you need to provide high quality diet, food found in pet store are not high quality diet, I would recommend Mazuri 6 F or harlan mixed with some dog food. (without the red dye)
    Today I saw two more babies killed its about the 6th day I dont know if me putting my hands in the nest is a bad thing or not??
    As explained previously as well the lower the stress the better with mice.

Breeding mice is not that hard one you have an established colony, the hardest part is to get started and again diet an low stress are VERY important with mice.

I have bred mice for several years now and have zero case of mothers killing their youngs, the firt litters are always perfect, the only time a baby will be eaten is when it simply does not make it.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    The problem is, most cheaper dog foods have grain products and corn listed as the number one product. The meat products are usually way down at the bottom. It's only when you get into the more expensive, specialty dog foods is the meat higher up on the list.

I don't think there's much of an issue. I know several people who have rats and mice as pets. Both said you can give either pretty much anything as long as it isn't fried and it isn't covered in sugar. One even mentioned giving her rats a treat of baked chicken.
    rats are not the same as mice when it comes to dietary needs.
    the reason for me saying that is because at times mice who are feed meat based foods they will tend to want it all the time one way or another.
    feeding pets and feeding breeders are total different things.
    oh yes also most cheap dog food contains more dyes than you can shake a stick at

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12